Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7921 Phones goes to "IP Configuring" Mode

Hello,

we have two WISM Controllers running 6.0.196.4, a lot of 1252 APs and 100 7921 Phones with firmware 1.3.4(SR1). About 20-30% of the phones have the problem that from time to time (sometimes 3 times a day, sometimes after a period of 3-4 days and then 3-4 times a day) they are loosing theire network connectivity and showing "IP Configuring" on the display (device is not pingable in this moment). The only way to resolve the problem for the customer ist to power of the device. Some user could power of the phone via the power off button an some users have to plug the battery pack. This happen even when the phone ist on the desktop charger or when it is on the desktop. We tried to set fixed IP address but nothing changed so we think we do not have a DHCP Problem. In the same subnet we have more than 500 IP Phones (7962 and 797x) running without any problems. We think we do not have a roaming problem because this happens when the phone is not moving as well. Is there someone with with the same problem or a hint about that?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Even if you stand still on a desk, you might be roaming as wireless signal fluctuates and obstacles are moving.

It sounds likely that your phones are losing connectivity and unable to get back on the network. A "debug client " on the WLC would help to see what's happening.

What roaming methods are you using ? PSK ? CCKM ?

Hello,

when I am looking at the WCS I find out that these phones do not have different RSSI/SNR values and they are very good as well. Also we could not see a roaming before this problem. They are loosing the connection (because I am not able to ping the device) but we do not know why. A "debug client" is already running for one phone and I am waiting for the customer call when the problem will happen again.

We are using CCKM (AES).

Best regards

Hi, I have the same problem, it seems related to bug CSCti17533. Cisco sent me a special engineered FW version for my 7921 and 7925 but it seems it didn't solve the problem.   (rel 1.4.1.0.2)

you can read about your problem in the bug tool.

Did you fix your problem in another way?

Johnny

Hi...are you saying that the 1.4.1.0.2 792x ES did not resolve your "configuring ip" stuck issue?  I have a couple customers running this same image and it has resolved their "configuring ip" issue.....I'm specifically referring to the ES resolving the condition where the 792x will be stuck in "configuring ip" until the phone is power cycled.

Yes, I confirm 1.4.1.0.2 didn't solve my 792x problem of "configuring IP" stuck.

Now I uploaded 1.4.1.0.4 and I'm waiting to check if it does.

I also have to try a special engineering FW for my 5508 WLCs but still I haven' t uploaded it.

I'll write my result in this post.

Johnny

Hi! I'm a colleague of Andreas.

Some additional information reg. the Firmware we use:

We received an ES from Cisco, too.

ES ver 1.3.4.0.4 for 7921 and 7925 phones

It seemed that this ES solved our Problems with "configuring IP" - nearly 2 Weeks without problems. Then we got the notification that the official Release 1.4(1) is available in which the bug fix from the ES is included.

Now 1.3.4SR1 is released...

Maybe we've had luck with the ES that it worked for nearly 2 weeks - now we're running 1.3.4SR1 which still has the "configuring IP" bug.

Even 1.4.1.0.4 Release didn't solve my 792X "IP configuring stuk" problem,

now I'm going to upgrade WLC Firmware.

I'm going from 7.0.98.0 to 7.0.98.218.

Hope it could help to solve my issue.

I'll let you know.

Best

Lorenzo

There are numerous issues that could potentially lead to the phone saying "configuring ip" so we need to be careful here indicating the 1.4.1.0.2 ES image for the 792x did not resolve CSCti17533.  If you are really hitting CSCti17533 then the phone would stay in "configuring ip" indefinitely and it **will not** show as associated or probing or anything on your wireless infrastructrure.....for example in the wireless controller if you issue "show client detail " you **should not** see any entry for that phone.  Also, if you are debugging on the MAC address of the phone then you should not see any activity there either.....for example you **should not** see the phone probing at all.

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

I

don't know if i'm hitting that bug.

I only know that I have a checked configuration of my WLCs, checked configuration of my CUCM and I have problem with "ip configuring stuk" of my 792x. Neither  1.4.1.0.2 nor 1.4.1.0.4 fw (provided me by cisco tac with a case opened for this problem) solved my problem so far.

Hello,

after a long time working on that problem I could sent the information that our problem seems to be solved by the 1.4.1. firmware release. Our customer is testing it for about 5 days and had no further problems. Even the roaming is much better and faster  than with 1.3.4SR1 firmware.

Hi,

going back to version v1.3.3 was the solution for us.

The new inter band roaming algorithm might be causing the Voice issues.

We do not use the 802.11a radios (available, but disabled).

Even configuring b/g on the 792x phone did not stop it from scanning the 802.11a band.

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/firmware/1_3_4/english/release/notes/792x_134.html#wp240885

Kind Regards,

Rob Vreede.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CSCto64825 was resolved in ES 1.4.1.0.5. That fix is 7921 specific.

This is resolved in 1.4(1)SR1 as well and would be the recommended version.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: