Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11n POE issue

tmailula
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

I have the 802.11nAG with the 3750E and have the right software to enable each port to do 20....the real issue here is that without the 5Ghz antenna everything works fine but as soon as i plug this in it get a power error..Is there a way to deactivate the Ghz antenna and to make sure it doen not draw power soo i can work with the 2.4 alone for now

Thanks and Regards

Tau

8 Replies 8

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Does this happen on several APs, or just one?

Try removing the 5GHz radio from the AP, that should work. Otherwise simply disable the radio by going into the Dot11Radio1 interface on the GUI and disabling it. You can also use the terminal to disable it by issuing the "shutdown" command under the Dot11Radio1 interface.

Let me know if that works.

On several AP's...Removing it works but the customer will not sign of the project..I just need to make sure it does not draw power ..

Thanks and Regards

Tau Mailula

If you set the port to only provide standard PoE at 15.4W and disable the 5GHz radio in the config it should be ok.

Removing the module? Why don't you just disable the radios via HTML or CLI?

Yes u can.

Another solution is buy one power injector

You have to remove one module if you using 802.3af, just disable the radio don't work.

I even open a case with this issue and got this reply from TAC:

"Hi Johan ,

Yes, the customer would need to physically remove the hardware.From lab

check, I have noted that with both radios installed the AP needs

approximately 18.5 watts of power and we get the Error condition even

though the second radio is disabled.

So it seems like:

-A single-radio AP1250 auto-negotiates appropriate level and works

with all Cisco switches capable of providing standard 802.3af -A dual

radio AP 1250 with one radio disabled draws higher power than 802.3af

can deliver."

With current software, the AP1252 can power both radios (albeit using only 1 transmitter per radio, and with a reduced max output level), even with 802.3af standard 15.4W power. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn421120.html#wp366903 .

Hth,

Aaron

The latest Autonomous IOS does not support the AVR firmware update (to enable 15.4 PoE). The RM's AVR firmware will be updated when using a LWAPP (RCV) image.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: