cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1p question

mdaswani
Level 1
Level 1

In order to fix some issues related to CSCsh69985 Cisco had our client change the 802.1p value for the Platinum QoS profile to ?7?.

From what I am reading this changes the 802.1p value for the LWAPP tunnel from the WLC to the APs. However, what happens to DSCP and 802.1p from the AP to WLC and from WLC to switch port? Is the eventual 802.1p value from WLC to switch port also modified to ?7??

My reference was the Wireless QoS link at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807e9717.shtml

2 Replies 2

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This DDTS is for controller 4.0 releases, but was addressed in 4.0.217.0.

There was a packet aging feature implemented, which could age out a packet within a second. This DDTS is for non-WMM clients and primarily the Cisco 7920 phone as when in idle, it sleeps every other 2 seconds. So on incoming call, potentially could age out the packets before sending over the air and then the CallManager connection is reset.

So 7 is still the voice queue, but this packet aging doesn't apply to packets marked as 7 (only 6). DSCP stays preserved.

Will want to enable DSCP for prioritization within the LWAPP tunnel.

jeremy.porter
Level 1
Level 1

If you look closely at that document, you will see that the DSCP is preserved when traffic is coming from the AP to the controller. I was actually working on a QoS Policy yesterday and can confirm that. The 802.1p value of 7 I believe will be in place on the tunnel from the WLC to the AP. When traffic exits the controller to the switched network (not LWAPP tunnel), the traffic will use the origional DSCP/COS markings.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card