Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x authentication

abinaya.2.r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to configure an SSID which will use 802.1x authentication for ipods corporate network.

Is there an option in cisco Wireless environment to use 802.1x authentication without the use of RADIUS servers?

10 Replies 10

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use local EAP on WLC but its not recommanded from my side.

https://mrncciew.com/2013/04/21/configuring-local-eap-on-wlc/

Best case would be to use cisco ISE integrated with WLC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/201044-802-1x-authentication-with-PEAP-ISE-2-1.html

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

We donot have ISE in our network.

I am looking for the options that I can configure along with 802.1x without RADIUS server.

If you dont have RADIUS then there is no other option.

Can  static WEP be combined? Can the MAC filtering be combined here along with 802.1x?

I have the APs joining this WLC on flexconnect mode.

you can combine: Static-WEP+ 802.1x  

more info about layer 2 and layer 3 security comptibility :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/106082-wlc-compatibility-matrix.html

Regards

Do NOT use WEP!!!
WEP will restrict you to maximum 54 Mbit/s on the AP (no 802.11n and newer features). As WEP is = no encryption use better OPEN without encryption instead of WEP, it provides the same (= none) security.

Basically, I am  looking for a solution that would provide 802.1x authentication for non domain clients. So this would involve L2 security as WPA+WPA2 and Authentication key management as 802.1x without a RADIUS server. Is this solution possible?

As  a second option, can I have  WLC based WPA2 Personal (AES) + Client MAC Address Authentication.?

All the APs are on flex connect mode.

HI,

For 802.1x you need a RADIUS server else it will not work.

for your 2nd option(WPA2/AES+MAC filetr): Yes its possible but you need to enter all the MAC address in WLC locally.

FYI: The local user database in WLC is limited to a maximum of 2048 entries and is set to a default value of 512 entries. 

Regards

Cool.

So, the Layer2 security WPA+WPA2 and authentication key management as 802.1x and mac filtering will work?

The Aps are in flexconnect mode..  Would this combination work?

I notice in the WLC footnotes that mac filtering is not supported for flexconnect APs.

yes you are right..

MAC Filtering is not supported on FlexConnect access points in standalone mode. 

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card