Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9120 with external antennas?

Hi,

So i know these are new access points and a lot of things haven't been decided yet. I'm working on a design where I would like to use the 9120 access point with external antennas (preferrably in FRA mode).  If I recall correctly I think it had an extra dart connector for one additional antenna apart from the normal. If I look at the datasheet I can see the following models:

C9120AXI-x

C9120AXE-x

C9120AXP-x

Since I was looking to mainly use the 2566P4W-R and 2566D4M-R I think I should use the C9120AXE-E (since I'm in etsi domain).

So I have two generall questions here, should I still use these antennas or are they going to make new ones for the AX access points?

Why can't I find the C9120AXE-x and C9120AXP-x SKU in the CCW?

Anyone had the same issues/question? Thankful for any answers.

On a sidenote to cisco, would be nice if you could label a discussion with Catalyst Access Point, you considering your forcing us to stop using aironet...

Br

//Peter

9 Replies 9

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 9120 does have the DART Smart Antenna Connector on the 9120E and 9120P models.

To connect it to the 2566P4W-R and 2566D4M-R antennas would would need the AIR-CAB002-DART-R= cable.

Cisco Catalyst 9120E Access Points are certified for use with antenna gains up to 6 dBi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) where as the Cisco Catalyst 9120P Access Points) are certified for use with antenna gains up to 13 dBi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) with the AIR-ANT2513-P4M-N= antenna

I know the 9120s were still going through certification in some domains which might be why you are not seeing them in CCW best to reach out to your Cisco SE or AM

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the information Haydn, do you also know is it's possible to connect two 5GHz antennas and make the access point operate in a FRA mode as well. I would like for one access points to have directional antennas in opposite directions, kind of what's done with the 3802 access point (maybe possible in the 2802 as well not sure about that one). If this is possible would it be a case of two AIR-CAB002-DART-R= that I would require in that case?

Br

//Peter

aditya181109
Level 1
Level 1
Hey, do have knowledge about the catalyst 9120 access point , does it supports the LoRa protocal ????

Take a look at the access point data sheet. This will state what is supported on the access point. If it’s not listed there, then there is no support.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

kadambari
Level 1
Level 1

Can we do test for C9120E access point without external antenna in staging environment and then once connect to live network will connect the required antenna. 

It depends what you want to test.  If you just want to connect a single device which is right next to the AP it will probably work (because a very small amount of signal will radiate and be received through the antenna connectors).  The connection might be slower than expected because of missing antenna though.
For any scale, coverage or throughput testing the antenna needs to be installed.

Thanks much for the reply. So hope when we test with single device/user without any antenna and than connect antenna when the AP goes to live network won’t affect the AP functionality or damage to the AP H/W.

handrews4
Level 1
Level 1

done it many times, without antenna signal/ performance will be terrible but wont hurt the AP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card