Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a license on a 5520 wlc (RTU bases)

aleopoldie
Level 3
Level 3

Hi experts,

I have a doubt and would like to be sure before making some changes.

I tried to add a license on a 5520 cluster on HA - normally this is quite simple as it is RTU system.

But I got an error message telling I can’t add licenses on the secondary WLC, and after checking I realised that the secondary WLC is the active one.

My idea is to make a reboot self, in order for the secondary (active) to reboot and let the primary become the new active, and I suppose after that I will be able to add my license.

What do you think?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Like Rasika mentioned, license can only be added to the primary controller. If the standby is active, then just issue a force failover and bring the primary unit to the active state. Since you are doing SSO, the failover is fast and transparent to the user.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You only need to apply it to active unit.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yes but the currently the active unit is the standby WLC, that inherited the licenses from the primary, that’s why I get the error message

i can’t choose on which WLC i can apply the license as it is SSO, or am I wrong ?

Like Rasika mentioned, license can only be added to the primary controller. If the standby is active, then just issue a force failover and bring the primary unit to the active state. Since you are doing SSO, the failover is fast and transparent to the user.
-Scott

Hi,

Yes that was what I was thinking. While doing "redundancy force-switchover" it will make a reboot of the current active one , right ? Then the standby one (primary) will become the active and the current active will reboot ?

Thank you.

That is correct.
-Scott

Alright, thanks Scott and all.

I will go ahead and perform this process.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card