Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a license on a 5520 wlc (RTU bases)

aleopoldie
Level 3
Level 3

Hi experts,

I have a doubt and would like to be sure before making some changes.

I tried to add a license on a 5520 cluster on HA - normally this is quite simple as it is RTU system.

But I got an error message telling I can’t add licenses on the secondary WLC, and after checking I realised that the secondary WLC is the active one.

My idea is to make a reboot self, in order for the secondary (active) to reboot and let the primary become the new active, and I suppose after that I will be able to add my license.

What do you think?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Like Rasika mentioned, license can only be added to the primary controller. If the standby is active, then just issue a force failover and bring the primary unit to the active state. Since you are doing SSO, the failover is fast and transparent to the user.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You only need to apply it to active unit.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yes but the currently the active unit is the standby WLC, that inherited the licenses from the primary, that’s why I get the error message

i can’t choose on which WLC i can apply the license as it is SSO, or am I wrong ?

Like Rasika mentioned, license can only be added to the primary controller. If the standby is active, then just issue a force failover and bring the primary unit to the active state. Since you are doing SSO, the failover is fast and transparent to the user.
-Scott

Hi,

Yes that was what I was thinking. While doing "redundancy force-switchover" it will make a reboot of the current active one , right ? Then the standby one (primary) will become the active and the current active will reboot ?

Thank you.

That is correct.
-Scott

Alright, thanks Scott and all.

I will go ahead and perform this process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card