cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adjusting the RSSI on a WLC controller based AIR-CAP3702I-B-K9?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Does anyone here on the forums know if there is a way to adjust the RSSI so that its lower on Controller based AP's without making that change globally?  I have a location where when the users roam between the AP's the calls are dropping.  Right now our default global setting is aroun 81 which I believe is the issue with the roaming.

Our AP's are controller based and when I look at the available AP settings I can't see any options to adjust the RSSI threshold on a local scale. 

Does anyone here on the forum know of another place I can possibly adjust this without doing it in the global settings?

Please let me know if you do.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Hi

First, if you want to change  something per AP group, you need to have RF Profile. Then, apply then on the AP group. With RF Profile you can attribute different characteristics to APs groups.

But in your case, you can change it per AP. The RSSI is actually the RF power, which you can change on per Radio.

Just go to the Wireless tab, 802.11a or b radios, change the AP power from global to Custom and the the value. 1 means highest power and 8 the lowest power.

This will reflect on the counter side as RSSI.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hello Flavio,

This is great, I had no idea that by customizing the power I would be affecting the RSSI threshold.  I want the RSSI threshold to be no higher than 61 on the RSSI.  What power setting would that put me at on the AP?  Can you please let me know?

Thank you again.

This is a bit complicated. Ideally, you should perform a site survey then you can measure the signal and adjust the power accordingly.

However, keep in mind that RSSI is a relative measurement. It depends on the client sensitivity and at the place can be different in different devices. Your notebook may see the signal at -61 dBm whilst your cellphone may see the same signal at -71 dBm or even more.

RSSI stand for Received Signal Strength Indicator and each vendor may use a different scale.

To sum it up, put the power at maximum and test.

Hi Flavio,

So if I have my custom power setting on my cisco AP at 4.  What does that equate to in RSSI?  Just looking for a rough estimate.  Please let me know.  Thank you.

As I said, it depends. You can try yourself. Take a smarphone or noteboot, go away from the AP to a certain distance and you can see. It also depends a lot on how your environment looks like. Open space have less signal degradation whilst offices with wall will have faster degradation.

You can THEORETICALLY calculate it. If you like math:

RSSI = -20 * logd + TxPower (where d = distance)

Which gives you this:

d = 10 ^ ((TxPower - RSSI) / 20)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card