Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP2802I-A-K9 to autonomous

abinaya.2.r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a brand new AIR-AP2802I-A-K9 access point . I need to convert this to autonomous. can you let me know the procedure.

I donot see the autonomous image in the software download page. 

14 Replies 14

I just want to convert to normal autonomous one.. not to mobility express.

Starting with 2800/3800/4800 series AP, there is no more "autonomous AP".
It is either CAPWAP or Mobility Express.

That is a nice answer.

So, can u share the difference from autonomous AP with that of mobility express? 

I do not understand the question.

It's simple - Cisco no longer supports autonomous APs and ME is the only thing which allows you to achieve something similar.

You can read the Mobility Express documentation for yourself in detail.

To put it simply ME converts the AP into a mini-WLC with built-in CAPWAP AP - so it runs both WLC and AP firmware with the AP joined to the WLC.

ME is a cut down version of AireOS WLC and does not require any additional license.

The latest Catalyst APs run embedded WLC for Catalyst APs which is essentially a 9800 WLC running on an AP.  Similar to ME but using the new 9800 IOS-XE code. eWLC requires a DNA license for each AP.

If I am running the AP with Mobility express image, I have seen one AP can act as master and other Aps connect to it.

But I need to purchase only one AP in total  for my network. As I  would not be able to run autonomous image on it, by uploading Mobility express image, can I experience wireless with only a single AP on my network?

Yes.  With Mobility Express, the AP acts as a "hybrid" WLC and an AP at the same time.

Hello,

Can we say mobility express is standalone model ?

Thank You

It also really depends on what you think standalone means.  ME (mobility express) is not autonomous but you don't need a controller as it has one built in like Leo mentioned.  However, since it has a controller built-in, you can have multiple ap's managed by the ME ap.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I understand what mobility express does. I am trying to convert a AIR-AP2802i-e-K9 from CAPWAP to mobility express. However, the only options that appear when typing ap-type are:

AP500F.804C.2C40#ap-type
capwap Switch to CAPWAP AP type
workgroup-bridge Switch to Workgroup Bridge(WGB) AP type

ap-type mobility-express is missing. So, I cant upload the mobility express version.
Cisco AP Software, (ap3g3)

Any Suggestion?

Thanks

Ruben

Depends on the firmware of the AP.

Hi Leo,

After a hard reset I was able to use "ap-type mobility-express" command. It is now up and running.

Thank you 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: