Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR CAP 3602I-E-K9 configur

tony99982
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Im having problems configuring my access point AIR CAP 3602I-E-K9.

I connected the AP with a POE (one connection 'TO AP' and other one 'TO SWITCH') to a switch which is connected to the main internet.

I can see the AP's IP address in terminal, but when I try to access that IP address in a webbrowser I can't get access.

My question is: How can I configure the AP?

I have an iMac.

Thanks in advance!

Tony

27 Replies 27

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You probably have a CAPWAP based AP. Can you show us please the full boot process with an attached console cable?
A CAPWAP based AP requires a WLC to function.
If it has a autonomous image you can configure it via Telnet/SSH.

@patoberli wrote:
You probably have a CAPWAP based AP. Can you show us please the full boot process with an attached console cable?
A CAPWAP based AP requires a WLC to function.
If it has a autonomous image you can configure it via Telnet/SSH.

Hi, thanks but I don't have a console nor console cable, can't you configure/ reset the AP without that?

I've tried Telnet and this is what I got: 

Trying 192.168.1.162...

telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.162: Connection refused

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

SSH I tried as well and it asks for a Password, I tries Cisco with and without capitals, no luck

For resetting the AP, what I did is deconnect the ethernet cable, hold the Mode button then reconnet the ethernet cable, what I see is a blue light for 2 seconds, then rapidly flashing green lights for about 10 seconds, then a solid green light. But I cannot connect to reconfigure....

For SSH you also have to supply the correct username. Did you use Putty or similar?

If you use a shell based ssh client, use the syntax Cisco@ipaddress and then supply the password Cisco.

Reset doesn't exactly work like that, look here for a manual:

https://popravak.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/resetting-cisco-capwaplwap-access-point-to-factory-defaults/

Depending on the model, you have to press the button for around 25 seconds, but not much more than 35.

I really suggest you get a Cisco console cable, as this will greatly help with troubleshooting in the future.

@patoberli wrote:
For SSH you also have to supply the correct username. Did you use Putty or similar?

If you use a shell based ssh client, use the syntax Cisco@ipaddress and then supply the password Cisco.

Reset doesn't exactly work like that, look here for a manual:

https://popravak.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/resetting-cisco-capwaplwap-access-point-to-factory-defaults/

Depending on the model, you have to press the button for around 25 seconds, but not much more than 35.

I really suggest you get a Cisco console cable, as this will greatly help with troubleshooting in the future.

Thanks, when using SSH, I get this:

# ssh Cisco@192.168.1.162

Unable to negotiate with 192.168.1.162 port 22: no matching cipher found. Their offer: aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc

I think the AP has been reset because i cannot see it in programs like WIFI Explorer, so all I need to do is access it to set it up and I cant get into the AP, do you really need a console cable for this`?

A CAPWAP AP needs to be connected to a WLC. It won't allow you to configure it via the CLI, apart from priming it to set the WLC IP address.

Do you have a WLC? If not, you'll need to install the Autonomous version of code on it before you can configure it.

@craig.beck wrote:

A CAPWAP AP needs to be connected to a WLC. It won't allow you to configure it via the CLI, apart from priming it to set the WLC IP address.

Do you have a WLC? If not, you'll need to install the Autonomous version of code on it before you can configure it.

Hi Craig, I don't have a WLC, so basically this AP is useless to me if I don't have a WLC? There is no other way to configure it?

SSH Access should still be possible, even in CAPWAP mode, unless it was disabled on the WLC it was previously attached to. I think, but I'm not sure, it's enabled after a successful factory reset.

If you don't have a WLC, but a CAPWAP AP, you need to convert it to autonomous. This works best with a console cable.

See here for a somewhat old manual, but it should still work: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/lwapp-to-autonomous-conversion-and-vice-versa-on-access-points/ta-p/3121542

Please note, you need a SMARTNET contract for the AP to download software (or use google...).

@patoberli wrote:
SSH Access should still be possible, even in CAPWAP mode, unless it was disabled on the WLC it was previously attached to. I think, but I'm not sure, it's enabled after a successful factory reset.

If you don't have a WLC, but a CAPWAP AP, you need to convert it to autonomous. This works best with a console cable.

See here for a somewhat old manual, but it should still work: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/lwapp-to-autonomous-conversion-and-vice-versa-on-access-points/ta-p/3121542

Please note, you need a SMARTNET contract for the AP to download software (or use google...).

Ok, thank you very much, this is too complicated for me, to convert it, using console cables (which I don't have) etc...

The AP is resetted I guess, because I don't see any signal in WIFI explorer for example, but nevertheless SSH doesn't work, access refused all the time. I was hoping there would be an easy way to configure the AP

Anyway, thank you very much for all your answers

Not sure about the old models, but I thought they don't show any SSID until it has been configured via Console or probably SSH. The newer series (with Mobility Express Controller built-in) will show an SSID for configuration for sure.

But I guess you have to spend the 1$ for a console cable on Ebay.

Please note, this is an Enterprise model of an AP and not recommended for beginners, as they have a fairly high learning curve. The new series with Mobility Express are suitable also for beginners.

@patoberli wrote:
Not sure about the old models, but I thought they don't show any SSID until it has been configured via Console or probably SSH. The newer series (with Mobility Express Controller built-in) will show an SSID for configuration for sure.

But I guess you have to spend the 1$ for a console cable on Ebay.

Please note, this is an Enterprise model of an AP and not recommended for beginners, as they have a fairly high learning curve. The new series with Mobility Express are suitable also for beginners.

Hi, thanks, buying the console cable is not the problem, the problem is where/ how do I connect this cable, I have an iMac to do this, the AP has a POE with one Ethernet cable to switch and other to the AP. How do I conect this console cable?

Ah, then you also need an USB-Serial adapter, they are also fairly cheap. Make sure to buy an Apple compatible one...

@patoberli wrote:
Ah, then you also need an USB-Serial adapter, they are also fairly cheap. Make sure to buy an Apple compatible one...

Ok, so if I have all these cables, what do I do?

I connect the consolde cable in the 'Console? part of the AP I guess, the other end I connect to the usb serial cable which I plugin to my iMac.

That's it? the 'Ethernet' socket of the AP stays empty?

And what program do I start when all is connected?

You use some console program. OS X probably has one included, but I don't work with Apple. In any case, there are many, Putty for example. When you start it, you don't enter the IP address, you enter the Serial Port (often the number 1 or COM1). After that it works exactly like an SSH connection, albeit a bit slower. The other end of the serial cable comes into the AP serial port.

The Ethernet socket should also be connected, as you have now, for power reasons. It will also allow you to directly test the configuration.

Here an old configuration guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/security-modules-routers-switches/116586-config-ap-00.html

Or this one: https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/single-ssid-configuration-on-autonomous-ap/

@patoberli wrote:
You use some console program. OS X probably has one included, but I don't work with Apple. In any case, there are many, Putty for example. When you start it, you don't enter the IP address, you enter the Serial Port (often the number 1 or COM1). After that it works exactly like an SSH connection, albeit a bit slower. The other end of the serial cable comes into the AP serial port.

The Ethernet socket should also be connected, as you have now, for power reasons. It will also allow you to directly test the configuration.

Here an old configuration guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/security-modules-routers-switches/116586-config-ap-00.html

Or this one: https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/single-ssid-configuration-on-autonomous-ap/

There is no serial port in the AP, only the console port which looks like an ethernet port, see pic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: