Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP1702I-E-K9 not joining WLC 2504 Controller

Hello!

One of our customers has the following problem:

He has 2 WLC 2504 controllers and 14 APs connectet to them that work like a charm. Yesterday I wanted to add a new AIR-CAP1702I-E-K9 to the system. We are already using some of these APs so I thought it best to buy the same. I could not see any join-attempts on the controller side. I then noticed that the firmware on the AP was for standalone usage. I proceeded to download the lightweight ap firmware and flashed it. Now the LEDs indicate that it wants to join (green - orange - red) and I see some debug output. Still the AP does not join the controller and after some time it reboots. I logged the debug output according to a troubleshooting guide I found in the documentation. The logfile is attached.

Can you give me a hint on what to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I know its not recommanded but still I would say to downgrade the AP software to ap3g2-k9w8-tar.153-3.JA4.tar

Here is the guide:

https://blog.it-playground.eu/lightweight-ap-manual-firmware-upgrade/

At the moment you are running ap3g2-k9w8-tar.153-3.JPI4.tar  which is equilent to 8.10.x or higher version

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Post the complete output to the command "sh time".

Hi, this is the output:

(Cisco Controller) >show time

Time............................................. Wed Feb 19 12:04:14 2020

Timezone delta................................... 0:0
Timezone location................................ (GMT +1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Vienna

NTP Servers
NTP Polling Interval......................... 86400

Index NTP Key Index NTP Server NTP Msg Auth Status
------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 0 AUTH DISABLED

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Connect the  console  of  the AP; follow the boot process after a cold start and scrutinize it (preferably use an auto-logging setup). You will probably get additional and or useful info.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you console the AP and paste the complete bootup process here.

do you have the correct settings for the serial connection at hand? i am going to try it tomorrow - will be using putty and a serial to usb adapter

thank you

- Normally it should be standard 9600b with xon/xoff , (do not do anything special to start with).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi, please see logfile from serial output attached.

I guess the essential part is probably this one at the end:

*Feb 20 07:10:04.471: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC. Either IP address is not assigned or assigned IP is wrong. Renewing DHCP IP.

But that is somehow strange, because a few lines before it tries to connect to 192.168.16.240 which is the WLC

I know its not recommanded but still I would say to downgrade the AP software to ap3g2-k9w8-tar.153-3.JA4.tar

Here is the guide:

https://blog.it-playground.eu/lightweight-ap-manual-firmware-upgrade/

At the moment you are running ap3g2-k9w8-tar.153-3.JPI4.tar  which is equilent to 8.10.x or higher version

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

You are my personal hero! Thank you so much!

@MarkusStrauss4162 wrote:
LWAPP image version 16.12.2.132

I know the reason why.  This AP was recently joined to a 9800.  Jumping from IOS-XE to AeroOS is not going to work. 

Console into the AP and, in enable mode, issue the command "dir".  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card