Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9 AUX Port

as00001111
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

We own a lot of AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9 Access Points that are managed by a WLC 2504.

They are connected via the POE port to the switch.

Now I'm wondering what the AUX port is useful for.

Can you tell me that?

Can you connect a device to it that will be in a separate vlan? (no vlan tagging, like an access switchport)

An answer would be very helpful.

Thank you!

12 Replies 12

Divya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Guidelines for Using the Auxiliary Ethernet Port

For Cisco Unified Wireless Networks Release 8.1.102.0 and older, the auxiliary Ethernet port labeled AUX is:

• A non-PoE port.
  • Does not provide PoE Out.
  • Provided for downward device connectivity only. The port is locally switched and is not managed. Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) is not enabled on this port.

– You can connect the AP to end devices such as projectors, phones, Point of Sale Terminals and so on, through this port.

– Do not connect another AP or devices such as switches or hubs to this port as they can create spanning loop problems. Also, do not connect the AUX port to the same uplink switch as the AP.

• Appears in the controller user interface as GigabitEthernet1.
  • Disabled when using 802.3af (15.4W) power.

Here is the bug for the VLAN mapping on AUX port: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCva41290/?reffering_site=dumpcr. However, you can use the work around for an end point connectivity.

Regards,

Divya

Thanks for your answer.

But where can I set up the vlan id for that port?

I'm using version 8.0.110.0

Am I affected by the bug?

Follow this work around:

Workaround:
Set AP port as trunk. Then the AP AUX port will belong to the native VLAN (hence the traffic will go through untagged).
Configure a native VLAN on your switchport to place the AUX port in the VLAN you need.

Regards,

Divya

But where exactly?

I can't find that.

What do they mean by "AP port"?

AP "Gig 0" interface is referenced as Ap port. 

AP uplink will be connected using Gig0 interface and you have to configure that Switch port as trunk with native VLAN defined. There is no need of any config on Aux port.

Thank you!

In the guideline, what do they mean by:

"Disabled when using 802.3af (15.4W) power."

The current PoE Status is "PoE/Full Power"

if it is getting 15.4 watt power via POE then it will disable the aux port.

The current PoE Status is "PoE/Full Power" -> Then dont worry...AP getting fill power.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

But what does that mean in my case?

How do I find out how much power my AP gets?

Because when it gets 15.4 watt, the aux port is disabled and I can't use it, is that correct?

Correct.

Login to WLC.

Wireless > All APs and here check the PoE Status

PoE/Full Power  -- Means its getting Full power

PoE/Medium Power (15.4 W) --- Its getting less power means AUX port will be disable.

Regards

ok good.

so I connected a notebook to the aux port and configured the native vlan on the switchport.

the network card of my notebook shows "connected". So that's ok.

However, I don't have any connectivity.

Do you have any idea?

Hey Divya,

I configured native vlan on the switchport. I need that anyway, because otherwise I would not reach the management ip of the APs.

But I don't get any connectivity when I connect a notebook to the aux port. The network card is connected, but no ping etc. works.

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This AUX port is designed to function as a downstream port. The AUX port is ideal for devices such as video cameras, projectors, IP Phones, Point of Sale terminals, and other end point devices. It is not designed to perform port aggregation nor will it provide PoE out.

More info here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/apdeploy/8-0/Cisco_Aironet_3700AP.html#pgfId-124333

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card