cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CT3504-K9 redundancy

Jero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a AIR-CT3504-K9 and I want to put an other AIR-CT3504-K9 for redundancy.

Do I need to buy new licences for the 2nd AIR-CT3504-K9 ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For HA SSO, the secondary needs an HA license.
For N+1, you'll need license to host N x APs if/when the primary fails.

View solution in original post

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3504 like the 5520 and 8540 are RTU license. If you have two units, you choose which is your primary and which is your secondary. If going with HA SSO, on your secondary controller, you define that as the secondary unit, that’s it.  If N+1, you just need to make sure you have purchased the license even though you don’t have to install any, again because it’s right to use.  I have a few 3504’s in Prod and in the lab and change the design in the lab often without installing any license. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For HA SSO, the secondary needs an HA license.
For N+1, you'll need license to host N x APs if/when the primary fails.

Can you elaborate on this "For HA SSO, the secondary needs an HA license"

-hope this helps-

@ammahend wrote:

Can you elaborate on this "For HA SSO, the secondary needs an HA license"

Read this:  Licensing for HA Pair

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3504 like the 5520 and 8540 are RTU license. If you have two units, you choose which is your primary and which is your secondary. If going with HA SSO, on your secondary controller, you define that as the secondary unit, that’s it.  If N+1, you just need to make sure you have purchased the license even though you don’t have to install any, again because it’s right to use.  I have a few 3504’s in Prod and in the lab and change the design in the lab often without installing any license. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks, I was just a little confused when you wrote secondary needs an HA license, Since only 1 license per AP is need for the Pair of HA controllers.
-hope this helps-
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: