Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-SAP1602 to CAPWAP

sumesh.nair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can I convert a standalone 1600 access point to a CAPWAP based AP when I choose to deploy a WLC later?Cant see any literature on cisco.com that is specific to the 1600 APs

Rgds

Sumesh

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes.  It's very easy.

First, you need to download the right IOS:  ap1g2-rcvk9w8-tar.152-2.JB.tar

Next you copy the IOS from your TFTP server to your AP.

The command, must be entered on the AP, is:  archive download-sw /over tftp:///ap1g2-rcvk9w8-tar.152-2.JB.tar

Make sure your WLC is running firmware 7.4.100.0.

Hello Leo,

Need help with configuration of Access points.

Following is the way my network is. I have one Juniper Srx 210 configured by ISP for internet on fiber. two ports are configured for Staff and students as Vlans. I have further attached one POE switch with Student Vlan (this is a managed switch, but I havent done anything on it yet, just connected to Juniper). 4 Access points are attached to this POE switch. The access points i have are Cisco Access Points 1602i AIR-SAP1602I-Z-K9 . I have 100 Mbps bandwidth speed but these access points are providing the speed between 17 to 25 Mbps. Can you please tell me where I am gone wrong. I am using 2 access points per floor and almost 100 people will access internet same time.

Second, I was thinking of managing access points using Wlan Controller. (Cisco Air CT2504 Wireless 4 x RJ45 LAN Controller). When I asked my supplier then he asked me to do the following:

First he told me that: I believe the access points may need an additional    license to work with the LAN controller.

Then later he told me that: You just need to convert the Access points to autonomous mode.

I found on internet that :

a cisco autonomous access point basically runs on its own while a  lightweight access point uses a centralized device called a wireless lan controller to get its configuration.  autonomous access points are managed  individually, while the lightweight access points can be managed centrally.  also, the switchport configurations to support both types of access points will  differ.

Now I am confuse here. Should I go for Wlan controller. As per above statement, if in autonomous mode, access points will work individually then I am using those access points in same way (individually) without Wlan controller.

OR, is it that Wlan controller web page or software will show these access points individually and will enable user to managed them Graphically.

I dont know how it is.

Please advice what should I do.

I shall be thankful to you.

Sarabjit,

Please stick to one thread or else it becomes confusing. All of us here monitor all four if the wireless forums, so there is no need to post to multiple.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card