cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1041 is not accepting mobile devices

josepdiaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for responses.

I got an Aironet 1041 (Air-LAP1041N-E-K9), and it's configured as standalone mode. I mean, after I've recieved it, I followed the steps to administrate it with web console.

So, everything is working perfect with PC laptops, but there's no internet connection with the mobile devices associated. Sometimes, the AP assigns an IP out of the dhcp excluded range, and sometimes when assigns a correct IP, there's no internet connection on the device.

Something special for the mobile devices? Maybe the "domain-name" option? (because the mobile devices are not in domain of course...)

Thak you.

JDR

19 Replies 19

Hi again and sorry for the delay.

Already checked both things, nothing has changed. No vlan specified and no IP helper into the switch..
More ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

You didn't confirm if the foreign laptop was able to connect to the internet or not and neither did you confirm if the mobile devices are also able to get to the internet. Going back to the dhcp isssue, what type of switch is the AP connected to - Layer 2 or Layer 3?. Also what is the set up of the switch port the AP is connected to, Access or Trunk

My friend, no one of them is able to get to the internet, 'cause they are getting a wrong IP address.

I think the switch isn't the problem. I tried into a layer 2 switch and into a layer 3 switch with the same result.

Devices are getting a wrong IP address.

I never said that the switch is the problem. I can only give advice based on the sketchy info that you provided. You have to understand that the clients can't pluck an IP address from the air. The dhcp requests have to be directed somewhere or ignored. The reason I asked about the switch port is to know if other vlans are allowed based on being a trunk or not allowed either by being an access port or vlans are manually restricted. If th clients pick up the wrong IP, that means you have an existing subnet with that IP ranges and the AP relays the requests to that subnet. If you paste the running config of the AP and the switch port that it is connected to. Also if you connected the AP to a layer 2 switch, the only way to get an IP from another subnet is through a router. Hence I would suggest that you disconnect the switch from the network and see if the clients pick up the right ip addresses from the AP

Here is my 2¢... from what you stated here:

3. The mobile devices are always assigned, but sometimes they are getting a correct IP (inside the defined range), and sometimes they are getting a incorrect IP (outside the range). We did this config in console mode:

ip dhcp excluded address 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.180

ip dhcp excluded address 192.168.1.190 192.168.1.254

ip dhcp pool aphall

network 192.168.1.0 /24

lease 1

default-router 192.168.1.70

dns-server 192.168.1.235 8.8.8.8

domain-name hall.hallinside.com

So, the range 192.168.1.181 192.168.1.189 is the range assigned from our Domain Controller. And it works perfectly on laptops (verified looking the ipconfig)

You have the AP dhcp scope and the DC dhcp scope on the same subnet, so this doesn't mean that the AP will exclude dhcp from the DC if the DC responds first.  The excluded is only for the AP dhcp scope.  Your default router is 192.168.1.70... is this correct?  this has to be the same gateway as what is configured on your router.  .70 is kind of wierd for a /24 subnet.  What is your scope options on the DC dhcp?

There is no need to have two dhcp scope on the same subnet unless you have a backup dhcp.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card