cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1140 suddenly not detected

fixdrifts
Level 1
Level 1

Just a few days ago, one of my coworkers computer was unable to see any of our wireless access points - all aironet 1140. He is one of two using a Win 7 machine, everybody else uses Mac with either Lion or Mountain Lion. The Macs can "see" and connect to our wireless AP's just fine.

The odd thing is that is his computer can pick up our neighbors wireless access points, but can't "see" ours. Also, a few peoples phones can no longer detect them either - both iphone 4's (ios 5.1.1 and 6) and androids (2.3 and 4)

No changes were made to our AP's, then people started having wifi issues. Does anybody have an idea as to what may be causing this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"The WAP's are using WPA2 with AES CCMP + TKIP"

Why not try removing tkip and just use aes for the ssid?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried to reboot the WAPs and see if the issue is occuring?

Yes, its the first thing I tried. The WAP's are using WPA2 with AES CCMP + TKIP with 128 bit encription and are broadcasting in 802.11 N if that helps.

So this is happening to ALL of your WAPs?

My coworkers laptop cannot dectect ANY of our WAP's nor can some peoples phones (which is of less concern to me). However, interestingly enough, his laptop can detect other companies WAP's. I'm at a loss as to what could have caused this.

His computer is the only one that cannot detect any of our WAP's.

Maybe the SSIDs have been disabled?

Nope, all of the other computers, including mine, can still detect them fine. I tried to manually add one of our access points to my coworkers computer, and Win 7 said that it already existed and that it was unavailble.

What stumps me, is that only his laptop and a few smartphones we have can't detect our networks. Some people phones still pick them up and all of the Macs detect them as well. I'm guessing it may be an issue with our AP's, but I honestly have no clue.

What stumps me, is that only his laptop and a few smartphones we have can't detect our networks.

If you can see it and he can't then it ain't a "wireless" issue.  Chances are, he's installed something which ruined his settings.   I haven't seen a behaviour like this before.

Same with the Smartphones.  If the rest of you can see the SSID and SOME of the smartphones can't then there's something wrong with them smartphones.

"The WAP's are using WPA2 with AES CCMP + TKIP"

Why not try removing tkip and just use aes for the ssid?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Alright so I've enabled 2.4Ghz broadcasting and everything seems to work fine now...odd. Why would his computer suddenly stop detecting the 5Ghz broadcast?

My coworker is in the engineering dept and he says that he didn't install anything at all on his computer before this happened. I trust him more than I would a person in the Sales dept.

Either way, thanks for the help everybody! I appreciate everybodies suggestions

Edit: Apparently I can only rate one reply and not two....      

Damon Garner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the laptop in question have 802.11a radio? Is it possible that the b/g for turned off for this ssid?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card