cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1310 APs dropping connections

Merpcservices
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have two Aironet 1310s out doors - one on a boat and the other on a building. I have one ANT24120 antennas attached to each AP. I am trying to determine why I am having dropped connections. Any help would be appreciated.

14 Replies 14

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have a 1310 on a boat ? Really.... Interesting...

So was this working before and just stopped working?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes, it was working, but is now sporadic.

I am new to setting up wireless networks over such a distance. I have discovered a "distance" setting on the 1310. The APs have been wiped and re-configed. To your knowledge, could the distance setting play a part in my problem?

What distance are you trying to shoot and are out in the ocean / lake and trying to get a connection or at the dock?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Ok good to know.

1) Has anything changed to the network, the bridges, or the surrounds that could cause a problem?

2) Have you reset the bridges as part of any testing (both)

3) Do you have access to both bridges ?

1) I do not know if anything has changed (at least not with each AP  or antenna). I am guessing there is more RF noise. I ran a product  called wi-spy and channelizer. There was a lot of competition, so I  hard-coded a channel that was consistently lower in noise.

2. I have reset both bridges.

3. I will not have physical access to both bridges till Monday.

4. I am trying to get up to about 5 miles. I am having intermmitent issues while docked as well.

So you have / had this working while in the ocean ? A PTP is a very fine link and not like sat or cellular. A ptp is a direct connetion and even a slight move from one bridge could cause you to have a signal break. So you got this working in the ocean / lake ?

I notice you are using an omni 12 dBi on both .. You were getting 5 miles from that, are you sure this worked before?

Yes. The antennas are omnidirectional - ANT24120

Are you line of sight between your antennas and the base anatnna ?

Yes.

If you reset both bridges you will need to reconfigure both. Here is an exmaple config. Give this a read..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

Once you get this up we can then test signal. Did you save the wispy captures, if so i would be glad to taje a peek at them.

Sean Lonning
Level 1
Level 1

ASDF I understand it's a PtP link but check out this guide written by Javier. It's solve many issues with my PtP links and PtMP roaming events.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14944

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you checked to see if the antenna connectors and or cabling is corroded? Environments like yours really need I have coax seal applied correctly.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Agreed. Salt is very corrosive. Wrap it in weather proof tape on all connectors and then electrical tape. Probably will have to replace coax cables on the boat since the damage has been done

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card