cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet Client MAC Address Changes

jeffpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

My company did an upgrade to their WiFi access points and I ended up getting one of the Aironet 2700i APs. I was able to install the autonomous firmware and got it working. I have a Linux system performing firewall and DHCP services. When a device connects to the Aironet, the DHCP server reports that a different MAC address has requested an IP than what is on the device. I looked on the Aironet client list and the correct MAC address is there. Even more curious is that I get a different MAC address for the client if I connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Since some of the devices are set with a static IP based on their MAC address, the DHCP server is giving out an IP from the pool instead of the static one.

Why is the Aironet forwarding a different MAC address and how can I get it to forward the devices correct one?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have not seen that before unless the device itself has “randomized MAC address” enabled. I know that this is default on some devices I have tested with.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have not seen that before unless the device itself has “randomized MAC address” enabled. I know that this is default on some devices I have tested with.
-Scott

Do you know off hand where that setting is?

Oh, sorry. No, the device isn't randomizing the MAC (non-Cisco APs don't have this issue).

jeffpalmer
Level 1
Level 1
Nevermind, the problem is on the device!

What did you find?
-Scott

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The Android device was randomizing the MAC address by default. The option was buried and on by default. Regular home routers don't allow for that, so I hadn't run into it before.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: