Views
Helpful
Replies

An AP must join a specific WLC

Almas Saiyed
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have 235 APs in the campus. I have 3 WLC appliance(2x4402 and 1x4404) with 200 APs license and a vWLC with 50 APs license.

4400 series appliance have image version 7.0 and vWLC have image version 8.0. All WLCs are in the same mobility group.

Problem is, if I want AP to connect to vWLC then AP image minimum version should be 7.3 and then it takes new image from vWLC. But for some reason, my vWLC controller goes down then APs are trying to connect to 4400 series controller and image version of AP is downgraded, then I have to manually upgrade the image version to 7.3 to connect that AP to join vWLC.

Question : I want that APs who joined vWLC, must join vWLC only. AP should not join to 4400 series controller.

How can I achieve this? Please help.

Thanks,

AS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

What you can do is to enable AP Authorization on WLC.

Here is the guide to configure:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/98848-lap-auth-uwn-config.html#backinfo

*** Internal Auth: Normally its not re-commanded to use for high number of APs..

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Question : I want that APs who joined vWLC, must join vWLC only. AP should not join to 4400 series controller.

How can I achieve this?

1. Choose Access Points > All APs to open the All APs page.
  2. Click the name of the access point for which you want to configure primary, secondary, and tertiary backup controllers.
  3. Choose the High Availability tab to open the All APs > Details for (High Availability) page

Assign Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Controllers for the Lightweight AP

Don't forget to rate useful posts.  

Thanks Leo,

I have done following 2 steps:

1. Enabled Global AP Failover Priorty under AP Failover Priority.

2. Configured Back-up Primary Controller IP and Back-up Primary Controller name and also configured Back-up Secondary Controller IP and Back-up Secondary Controller name (Which is dummy).

But still when vWLC goes down, AP joins 4400 series controller.

Thanks,

AS

But still when vWLC goes down, AP joins 4400 series controller.

If the vWLC goes down, where do you want the APs to join?

No where, APs should not work until vWLC comes up again. APs must join vWLC only.

Hi,

What you can do is to enable AP Authorization on WLC.

Here is the guide to configure:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/98848-lap-auth-uwn-config.html#backinfo

*** Internal Auth: Normally its not re-commanded to use for high number of APs..

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks Sandeep,

Where should I enable this? on vWLC or on 4400 series WLC appliance.

Thanks,

AS

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card