cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anchor with multiple foreign controllers - webauth issues

PWJPW
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched and found many similar topics but none relating to the exact question.

We have a customer who has five sites with a foreign controller per site and a single, central guest anchor.

Due to known limitations using a guest anchor solution with web auth (the external webauth redirect URL does not include the "ap_mac" because the anchor is not able to know the ap_mac!), we have to hard code the ap_mac on to the end of the external webauth URL), This is fine for a one-to-one foreign / anchor setup.

However, because we need to identify each site when it hits our external captive portal splash page,  this causes us a problem because the customer wants a single (same) SSID on each of the sites.

So, although its possible to have a WLAN with the same SSID on each foreign controller (as they are all separate), I need to have five WLANs with the same SSID on the guest anchor all with different external webauth URLs.

Then, on the guest anchor I can have five WLANs each with their own unique external webauth URL under the Layer 3 settings, like:

Site 1: https://my-portal.com/?ap_mac=aa-xx-xx-xx-xx-aa

Site 2: https://my-portal.com/?ap_mac=bb-xx-xx-xx-xx-bb

and so on. Hopefully this makes sense.

Would the VLAN select feature help here, so I can have the same SSID on all but someone map to a different WLAN when it reaches the anchor? Any other thoughts on how to achieve this?

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

James

9 Replies 9

Hi James,

There is a feature called "foreign mapping", see if that helps in your scenario

https://mrncciew.com/2013/03/24/auto-anchor-foreign-mapping/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Makes sense but the bit I am unsure about is how to have multiple WLAN profiles on the guest anchor and make each WLAN on the individual foreigns map to this particular WLAN so I run a webauth per foreign WLC if that explains. So basically:

Site 1 (foreign WLC):

WLAN SSID  = Guest

Site 2 (foreign WLC):

WLAN SSID  = Guest

Site 3 (foreign WLC):

WLAN SSID  = Guest

So the same SSID on all foreigns which are all mapped to the single guest anchor.

On the guest anchor, I want 3 different WLANs (with the same SSID) but all have different layer 3 web auth URLs and the like.

Is this doable with foreign mappings even though the SSIDs are the same?

Cheers

Hi Rasika

Just hoping you can help with your expert knowledge of WLCs. It really is appreciated so I can move forward.

Thanks

James

Hi James,

I do not think you can do that using WLCs itself. 

If you got CMX, there is a feature "Connect & Engage" where you can present different custom portal based on the AP location/site

HTH

Rasika

Thanks for the reply. Even using CMX however, with guest anchor, the anchor controller loses the AP Name/MAC visibility over the mobility tunnel, so it doesn't really have anything unique to use as a site identifier?

Thanks

With CMX, you will get AP location/site information via Prime. So if you want to present different custom portal based on where users connect, you can do that.

See below "Connect & Engage" page where you can assign different portal based on  campus/ building/ floor/ zone information. See below labminute video to see how you can do it.

http://www.labminutes.com/rs0112_prime_31_cmx_10_2_connect_engage_2

CMX-Connect.png

Not sure, if it helps in your scenario, may worth to explore it further.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks. The customers don't use Prime/CMX so I need to see if there is a way to do this another way.

Does the WLAN have to be configured exactly the same on both foreign and guest for it to work?

For example, if I have 3 foreign controllers (one per site) and a single anchor controller, with the same WLAN (and SSID) configured on each foreign, could I have 3 different WLANs on the anchor and get them to map to one of these based on a VLAN id or interface etc? Or does it always have to match the same (single) WLAN profile?

Thanks

You need to have same WLAN name on anchor controller (you can have different WLAN ID in foreign & anchor)

HTH

Rasika

Understood, so no way to have multiple WLANs at all on the anchor (one per foreign)?

In fact, I don't really need different WLAN's, what I need is a different layer 3 external webauth URL per foreign. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card