cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any advantages to setting the AP-Manager and Management interface to an untagged vlan?

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Any advantages to setting the AP-Manager and Management interface to an untagged vlan? Currently, our controllers have their management and ap-manager interfaces on the same untagged vlan. Would it be wise to change this? Are there any gotchyas I should be aware of?

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

absolutely no advantage. There can only be one untagged vlan for a given switchport so you can decide if it's the management or a user interface that is untagged. But in the end, that matters very very little.

It's just a matter of configuration.

Regards,

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

But are there any caveats that I should be aware of. I want to put the management interface on one untagged VLAN and the ap-manager interface on a different tagged VLAN. I Keep want to keep them seperate. And why do you think the tech that set this up put the manager interface and ap-manager interface on the same untagged VLAN. I've actually done  lab of this with no problem. But, I'm wondering if there might be a problem with all the WLAN interfaces and the management interface communicating.

No really, there won't be a problem. Management an AP-manager can be on different vlans.

The vlan you chose to untag is the vlan you should declare as native on the switch, that's it.

No advantage in having interfaces configured in a way or another.

Some people want the management to be in a "management" subnet and the ap-manager will be in the subnet with all the APs. Some others have several AP subnets so the ap-manager is in the same as management ... no importance whatsoever as long as the config is coherent.

The only thing that is worth considering is the size of AP subnet to me. If you give a /16 for APs and have 1000 APs in a single subnet, ARP and broadcast storms will be hitting the fan. But the vlan tag/untags that you chose are not important

To rate an answer, click on the stars below it. 1 for not so useful and 5 for very useful.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful.

and how do you rate answers that you find useful?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card