cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[AP 1840i] Measuring signal properties through controller commandline

shervinsafineh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have an Aironet 1840i and I want to measure some signal properties such as RSSI, noise and SNR through the controller commandline. I found some documents suggesting show commands with cleanair, but those don't work since 1840i is utilizing a qca chipset. Any idea which command(s) I should use?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Typically you measure signal with a tool that provides RSSI and SNR along with other data. I never rely on that information from the aps or controllers because you don’t know where that device is located.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, Scott. I'm performing some tests involving other BLE devices working at the 2.4 GHz band that may have an effect on the WiFi. In the GUI it's possible to see some SNR and RSSI values belonging to the access point itself. How about those? Do you know how I can get those through console?

I don’t understand. You only can get RSSI/SNR from what the AP has calculated from a device. Seems like you need someone on-site to survey and capture the RF.
-Scott

I'm interested in these values (marked with a red box):

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

That data show you what the ap hears. There are two things that need to be understood. What the ap hears but also what the client hears. Even with that data, you need to understand your baseline of what is acceptable. Utilization is probably lower due to people not around.
-Scott

I appreciate the response, Scott, but at this point my task is to find out how to get those values through commandline so that I can save them more easily.

If you want historical information, then you need a management platform that can collect these data points and present that later in a dash board. Prime Infrastructure, DNAc, SolarWinds and other types of tools can capture that info easily.
-Scott

Right now, I'm only after the commands that can output the shown values in console. I'm not doing a wide research on the subject, just testing out a few use cases and need to see the results that will appear in the GUI as console cmdline outputs.

Take a look at some of the cli commands from the guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/810/cmd_ref/me_cr_book-810/m_lwap_cli.html#wp5309843700
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card