cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 2702i EOL questions

robo0003c
Level 1
Level 1

We have a lot of 2702i APs in our environment. According to the below notice they are EOL soon. But what does it mean in reality? Can i run them 4 years more without any issues, or should i change them to 2802i? I understand that I will not be able to buy more of them (we have some 2702i as spares in case of hardware issues), but what is worrying me is the "End of SW Maintenance". If I run these with a IOS XE controller like 9800 series, would that mean that there will be no bug fixes and so on?

How should I react to this EOL notice, plan for immediate change of them, or could I run them for a couple of years more?

Link to EOL notice:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-2700-series-access-point/eos-eol-notice-c51-740711.html

Table 1.       End-of-Life Milestones and Dates for the Cisco Aironet 2700 Series Access Points

Milestone

Definition

Date

End-of-Life Announcement Date

The date the document that announces the end-of-sale and end-of-life of a product is distributed to the general public.

April 30, 2018

End-of-Sale Date:
HW

The last date to order the product through Cisco point-of-sale mechanisms. The product is no longer for sale after this date.

April 30, 2019

Last Ship Date:
HW

The last-possible ship date that can be requested of Cisco and/or its contract manufacturers. Actual ship date is dependent on lead time.

July 30, 2019

End of SW Maintenance Releases Date:
HW

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

April 29, 2020

End of Vulnerability/Security Support:
HW

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release a planned maintenance release or scheduled software remedy for a security vulnerability issue.

April 29, 2022

End of Routine Failure Analysis Date: 
HW

The last-possible date a routine failure analysis may be performed to determine the cause of hardware product failure or defect.

April 29, 2020

End of New Service Attachment Date:
HW

For equipment and software that is not covered by a service-and-support contract, this is the last date to order a new service-and-support contract or add the equipment and/or software to an existing service-and-support contract.

April 29, 2020

End of Service Contract Renewal Date: 
HW

The last date to extend or renew a service contract for the product.

July 29, 2023

Last Date of Support:
HW

The last date to receive applicable service and support for the product as entitled by active service contracts or by warranty terms and conditions. After this date, all support services for the product are unavailable, and the product becomes obsolete.

April 30, 2024

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Prepare to buy the newer models.
Talk to your AM/SE before purchasing.

Jurgens L
Level 3
Level 3

When Cisco make EoL announcements of their products, this normally is a sign for you to get your planning/budget together so you can replace these access points. 

The dates you really need to look for are the "End of SW Maintenance Releases Date" as you will no longer get software updates to address any ongoing bugs and any further compatibility with new software that is released after that date.

<<< Please help the community by marking useful posts helpful, or accept as a solution if it resolved your issue >>>

I was hoping that since 2702 has existed for some time most of the bugs has been adressed and it should not pose a problem to run them a couple of more years even if "End of SW Maintenance Releases Date" has passed. Is it wrong to take that chance? How common is it to change the whole AP env before "End of SW Maintenance Releases Date"?

The problem are new emerging standards and worse, new AP models which might require newer software. Software where your 2700 models will (maybe) not anymore be supported.
Also security issues will not anymore be fixed.
You can of course keep them running, just keep the security issues in mind, depending on your business, this could be a killer criteria.

@patoberli wrote:
new AP models which might require newer software. S

Don't forget POWER. 

A number of the APs will require >30w (uPoE) and will be HEAVIER than ever before.  

I'd recommend 2800 because it will still be <30w.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card