cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP (CAPWAP) fail or disassociated from controller after change to static IP

hakim.salleh
Level 1
Level 1

After AP successfully join WLC, I changed the IP to static, upon reboot, the AP just failed to join again.

example:
ec:bd:1d:9b:be:84 is has static IP 172.31.2.101
but the log show WLC fail to connect to different IP
" AP disconnect
details
- Reason for last AP connection failure.................... Timed out while waiting for ECHO repsonse from the AP Ethernet Mac : ec:bd:1d:9b:be:84 Ip Address : 172.31.0.166 "

the static IP was configured as 172.31.2.101, but the error saying fail to reach 172.31.0.166 (this should be the original IP from DHCP)

Thanks

Hakim

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check the basics:

• Does another device have the same IP address already
  • Is the subnet mask correct
  • Is the default gateway correct
  • Are the DNS servers correct

connectivity and DNS is not the problem. Issue only happen on AP after change the IP to static from DHCP

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,
and what subnet mask are you using ? If larger than /22, then AP is on different network as WLC.

You have 4 options how to connect AP to WLC.

1. DHCP option 43

2. DNS

3. Broadcast - this will work only if AP and WLC are on same subnet

4. manually - command should be (on AP): config capwap ap controller ip address... You must have IP connectivity between WLC and AP

Probably your AP was connected to WLC with 3rd method (broadcast) and then you moved it to another network and broadcast method no longer works.

Try use commands (on AP): clear lwap private-configuration and clear capwap private-configuration.
These commands return AP to factory default and AP should connect again as before.

Optionally you can type command dir flash: and if you will see file env_vars then type command delete flash:env_vars (some parameters are in this file)

hello

it's a /21

1st time it discover using DNS

I do not have console access to the AP right, I'm looking for a solution without console right now. If I have console access then it should not be much problem

And do you have IP connectivity (for example telnet)? (You must have some kind of connection, otherwise you don´t solve this problem)

So log onto AP and try to manually specify controller IP address.

Note to DNS binding: DHCP server also provide domain name. Since you don´t use DHCP, the AP has no way how to get domain name. Probably this caused your problem.

console is my last option and I know I have a few method the recover or get the AP to associated again with the controller if I could get access to the AP CLI

the AP is at remote site and console is something that is require some coordination

I was looking if anyone know why after change to static IP, the AP failed to join the WLC

btw, I think you miss one discovery method. no5 should be the previously known controller, try "show capwap client config" you should see the information.

in my case, DHCP43 is not configured and it is not in in the same broadcast and I did not hardcode the controller IP into the AP

so what is left is, it should still get to resolve name via DNS and if fail, it will get connected to previously known controller when it was discover in the first place

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card