cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP doesn't forward the network traffic and dropping internet connection with no connection to local resources

amralrazzaz
Level 5
Level 5

hi all 

i have problem with my AP . im using linsys wap300n connecting to cisco switch 2960 POE 24 port

the internet connection always dropped also AP not forwarding the traffic so i cant also access local resources or ping to any device 

the issue getting solved by resetting the device and reconfigure again with changing the switch port but after matter of time the issue comes back again

so the problem is from the brand of the AP and if i use one from the following AP brands my problem gonna be fixed and internet connection will be stable ?

Aironet 1830 Series

Aironet 1815 Series

Aironet 1850 Series

Aironet 2800 Series

Aironet 3800 Series

what do u recommend for me ?

my company users number around 40 and less than 

amr alrazzaz
18 Replies 18

Hi Amr,

Any of those AP models will work as all those enterprise grade. From below link you can compare those AP features

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-points/product-comparison.html

2800/3800/4800 are the top AP models & require POE+, so it may not work with existing switch you got.

You have to configure those AP properly & can't expect everything will be good from off the shelf. You have to buy one of those APs with maintenance support in order to get required software from cisco.com. Then you can configure it in Mobility Express mode, see below deployment guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8_chapter_01.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

HI thanks for your great feedback but i need more clarification about The AP 

my switch is cisco catalyst 2960 24 gige poe 370w

im not using vlans only the native vlan

the AP the should i buy can you help me to choose which one 

about the 2800/3800/4800 are the top AP models i have POE switch already but i think no need for these top models 

so can i buy 1850 for example ? and is it better than the AP that i using ?

if i bought and install it so it will work better ?

thanks

amr alrazzaz

You have to configure those AP properly & can't expect everything will be good from off the shelf. You have to buy one of those APs with maintenance support in order to get required software from cisco.com. Then you can configure it in Mobility Express mode, see below deployment guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8_chapter_01.html

ca i ask you about the APs that have maintenance support ? what models? can u recommend for me good one with my environment (its only 30 - 40 users only )

thanks

amr alrazzaz

I would go with the 1850 or even 1830 with Mobility Express (ME). They only need PoE and not PoE+ (your switch probably offers only PoE).
But honestly, with just 2-3 APs, I'd rather go for Meraki (requires yearly contract) or Ubiquiti (doesn't require a contract, a bit more expensive hardware). Both are easier to configure than the ME solution, although that is now also fairly easy.

should i use 2 AP ?  my location space is not much big and when the office full of users it reach to only 15-17 users 

and is aironet 1850 i or 1850e is better ? and should it fix my issue that not dropping the internet connection and i have to restart and some time reset the AP to back to normal for some time and issue back again ?

whats meraki and Ubiquiti  ??

amr alrazzaz

Two threads for the same questions, bad :)
The 1850i has Internal antennas, the 1850e has External antennas (means you also need to buy antennas!). For a normal office space, the an ....i model.
I think your old AP has a power supply issue (not anymore offering enough power) or a hardware bug. Both should be fixed by switching to a new AP.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR GREAT HELP 

another question please , if u donot mind

what i buy Aironet 1815 ? is it suitable and working fine with great condition same as 1850 ? the price is controlling me :)

thanks again and appreciate your support

amr alrazzaz

You find the different specifications here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-points/product-comparison.html

The 1850 will probably reach in reality around 20-50% higher throughput as the 1815 and will have a little bit better reach.

On the other hand, some variants of the 1815w allows you to connect 2 clients via cable directly to the AP, it has a tiny switch built in. Please note, that requires some configuration.

IF I simple configuration should i go with 1815i ?

whats the difference between i-w-t-m ?  and which one do u recommend or doesn't matter all the same ?

thanks in advance 

amr alrazzaz

You find the differences here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/aironet-1815-series-access-points/index.html
I would probably take the model w or i. The other models can't be Mobility Express masters, I think (on version 8.5 code).

But honestly, if you only need 1 or 2 APs, I would not take a Cisco Enterprise model and would rather go with a Meraki or Ubiquiti SMB (Small Medium Business) model. As you will not use most of the features of the Cisco AP, which you pay for.

Meraki or Ubiquiti is this cisco brand or another brand of APs??

can you please check for me this quotation price for 1830i on pic attached ? is it suitable price ? and is it working with power adapter and poe so i can use one of them ?

thanks in advance for all support 

amr alrazzaz

Meraki or Ubiquiti is this cisco brand or another brand of APs??

can you please check for me this quotation price for 1830i on pic attached ? is it suitable price ? and is it working with power adapter and poe so i can use one of them ?

thanks in advance for all support 

amr alrazzaz

Meraki is a daughter company of Cisco. Ubiquiti is a completely different brand.

I find the price to high, if it's without service contract. On Amazon it's around 240 USD. And here in Switzerland it's also around 230 USD, without contract (which you require for software upgrades).

these AP need licenses also for software upgrade ? same as switches and routers? 

if i need to upgrade the software of the AP i have to pay ? for downloading the firmware and upgrade ?

so you advice me to buy it from amazon ? better ?

what about warranty of this access point ? also these kind of APs can stay working for many years i mean is it a good quality with heavy duty working ?

thank patoberli so much 

amr alrazzaz
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card