Views
Helpful
Replies

AP doesn't join after upgrade to 7.0.116.0

remco.gussen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

today i upgraded our WLC4402 from 7.0.98.0 to 7.0.116.0. After the upgrade (also bootloader upgrade) the Aironet 1142 AP's do not joint the controller anymore. Error in log:

*spamReceiveTask: Apr 26 11:30:46.301: %CAPWAP-3-DISC_INTF_ERR2: capwap_ac_sm.c:1468 Ignoring Primary discovery request received on a wrong VLAN (21) on interface (29) from AP ec:c8:82:ab:ed:00

Nothing changed in infrastructure. AP's are in VLAN 21, AP-Manager interface is in VLAN 21. Ap-Manager, Management Interface and Dynamic Interfaces are in PortChannel (LAG) = Interface 29.

Who can help me?

Regards

Remco

8 Replies 8

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

I'm guessing your Management Interface is not vlan 21?

If your APs are in the same vlan as your AP-Manager (or any dynamic interface), you're going to get those "discovery came in on wrong interface" type errors. Its because the AP sends broadcast discoveries and the only interface that supports a discovery is the Management.

Are any APs working or is everything down?

Maybe console into an AP and provide the output?

debug capwap client event

debug capwap client error

maybe even "debug ip udp"   <-- I like this one the best, to at leas confirm what packets are going in and out.

You need to confirm that the AP is sending a discovery request that is reaching the Management IP, and whether or not the WLC is responding.

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

in which vlan is your management interface ?

The WLC should get discovery packets onthe management interface and apparently complains it gets them on vlan 21 instead.

Thank you for the answer.. This is strange...

My AP-Manager interface is in VLAN 21, so are the AP's. The Management Interface is in VLAN 900... I assume the AP does a broadcast in the VLAN 21 segement and the AP-Manager interface receives them.. Isn't it? I also see that the VLAN21 is not routed. So there is no traffic possible between VLAN 21 and VLAN900. Are you sure the only interface that listens to the broadcast is the Management Interface? Very strange, because the other AP's do work...

Yes, I'm more than certain that only management interface expects that packet :-)

discovery request is towards management. JOIN request is towards AP manager.

I don't know what was happening in your network but if there is no routing now between vlan 21 and the management interface, it's never going to work, for sure.

Nicolas

Ok, normally i put the AP-Manager and Management Interface in the same VLAN, together with the AP's. I "inherited" this configuration, so i'm gonna try to get this work by fixing it.. Keep you posted.

Strange thing is that the AP is now connected to the backup (secundairy) WLC. That WLC also has the same configuration. AP-Manager in unrouted VLAN 21, Management interface in VLAN900.. And the AP joins the secundairy ip.. Also see that the debug lwapp udp shows communication between ip address of AP in VLAN 21 and AP-Manager ip address in VLAN 21..

Ok, you are all right!

I changed the config. Now the AP-Manager and Management Interface are in same VLAN and everything is working perfectly..

Again, thank you for the help.

Regards

Remco

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Remco,

Please mark the Question as Answered, if the provided information by Nicolas is correct and it helped. By doing that others can take benefit as well.

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager – Wireless

Thanks & Regards

BillKrutke
Level 1
Level 1

So just was reading this and I know this is late, but wanted to give it a stab. So when getting in to 6.0.196.0 and up on a 5500 the controller will not let you make AP-Manager VLAN and Manager VLAN in the same port. You can still to this on 4400. Management VLAN should be different than AP-manager VLAN. With that said you need a Vendor Class for the AP-manager VLAN to point to the controllers Managment VLAN. Granted I don't like the Manager VLAN sepration to AP-Manager VLAN because it kills Multicast and if you have Vocera Badges you end up using Unicast until you install Multicast routing.

I just was looking at that an wanted to say that Vendor Class could of help I would think. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card