Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP in noisy environment deployment tips

I have a customer that has a wireless clean air deployment in their retail environment.

The next step is to add AP's to cover a RF noisy environment, Cold storage areas.  According to the site survey's these areas are showing up as dead zones.

I am suggesting that the customer deploy AP's within the cold storage areas, but I am getting some resistance as to why can I not just use one of the existing AP's and just extend one of the antennas into the room.

I am trying to explain that that just would not work, but I am looking for some more substantial material to help further explain why it is not a good idea.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
why can I not just use one of the existing AP's and just extend one of the antennas into the room.

That might work if one was to drill holes through the wall.

I am suggesting that the customer deploy AP's within the cold storage areas

How cold can this room be?  How big is this room?

The rooms are of varing size.  A couple that are squarish and a couple that are long.

Temps are in the 32 to 40 degree F range generally with one in the 25 degree range.

The AP's I have spec'ed will be fine in this range.

That should be a fine temperature.  If decision makers will allow you to drill holes to drive either APs through or patch antennas it should be do-able.

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

11n relies on having 3 antennas near each other to get diiferent phases of the same signal.

putting antennas in different rooms means no 11n and bigger collision domain, which is bad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card