cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Multicast Mode

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

I am currently configuring Multicast on my WLC 5508's and had some questions about the configuration that Cisco Documents go through.

The AP Multicast Mode options are unicast or multicast, when I select multicast mode it wants me to enter a multicast group address. I have 7 of them that clients need to be able to join, so what do you do in this case? I did setup a multicast direct stream in the WLC with the range of my multicast addresses and changed the QoS on the WLAN, then enabled multicast on the AP radio's. Now my question is: I left the AP multicast mode setting to unicast because I could enter one addresses, which I knew wouldnt work, so how do I know multicast is working on my wireless devices without having a wireless capable NIC to capture packets using something like wireshark?

20 Replies 20

Well friend, thanks for all the advice and input.

My issue is NOT a wireless issue. I went to another building of mine, with AP's on the same controller and the same SSID and I have flawless results! ARG!

Now although I am  not sure why I didn't think about going to another location earlier in my journey is beyond me, but lesson learned. I guess thats how we become better troubleshooters!

I have an IGMP/multicast issue somewhere on my wired network at the location I have been testing this from so I was barking up the wrong tree.

On the plus side, man, did I learn a lot about multicast and the wireless infrastructure.

First time I've seen that debug you ran, and I've seen alot of debugs

Just for clarification, did you go to a different site on the exact same WLC? Same ssid? Same vlan?

Or is it two different sites on two different WLCs?

I'm sure you are not alone in your "troubleshooting wireless multicast video" but you are helping pave the way. Let me know if you get back on the wireless track of looking for the problem (or if you find your problem in general).

Same WLC, Same SSID, not the same vlan because it is a different AP group, but multicast settings are not applied at the AP group level.

So... the only only factor that I would want to rule out is what happens at Site 1 (broken) if you move that AP to the AP group of site 2 (working).

(assuming your client comes up in the correct vlan and not anchored anywhere).  Your client should for all intents and purposes appear to be in site 2 (working), which would imply its a client vlan type thing....

BUT

if the AP at Site 1 continues to have broken client traffic  even when in AP group of site B, that would imply something between WLC and Site B AP is in play?  right?  wrong?

I have used the same client in all tests, no matter the location. Site 1 broken has about 30 AP's, same results joined to different AP's throughout the building.

Bring Client to site 2 working, join 4 different AP's works flawlessly.

I dont understand why setting the AP mode to unicast does not cause this timeout issue, but yet bad quality on only 2 of 7 streams. Then setting AP mode to multicast mode with a multicast group IP cleans up the quality issues, but timesout ALL the streams in about 4 minute intervals.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: