cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP On Different Vlan Than Controller

MICHAEL BURNS
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5508 controller at our headquarters and am installing some 3502 AP's at a remote branch.  Unfortunatly, the remote branch has a different Vlan setup for some reason and the vlan that is used for the WLC (90) is designated for telephony at this branch.  Can I put the AP's on a different VLAN (10) without having any issues?  I will still use DHCP option 43 to point them back to the controller. Below are the configs for the WLC interfaces and what I am proposing for the AP interfaces:

WLC Config

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/38

description WLC01

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 90

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,10,50,90,91,390,410-413,610-613,800,810,811

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 5 mode on

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/39

description WLC01

switchport

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 5 mode on

!

interface Port-channel5

switchport

switchport mode trunk

AP Interface Config

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

description *** Access Point AP001 ***

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

Will this work? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes it will.. just make sure that is we are using any Firewall or something in the middle allow CAPWAP ports!!

just wanted to know.. what will be the AP mode?? HREAP or Local??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes it will.. just make sure that is we are using any Firewall or something in the middle allow CAPWAP ports!!

just wanted to know.. what will be the AP mode?? HREAP or Local??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Surendra,

I know with the HREAP, if the site goes down they can still operate, but is there any benefit to having the AP answer to the Main Controller in local mode? I thinking I could save some money by having the AP answer to the Main Campus controller as this new site will only need one or two APs.

Pat.

Hi Pat,

When deciding to do LOCAL mode or CENTRAL SWITCH mode you need to consider a few items:

1) NAT -- If there is a NAT between both locations almost all customers would rather LOCAL mode. Reason being is the ability to access local resources without nat issues. Remember, central model has all traffic and IP addressing coming from the main office.

2) Internet / Main office connection - If the remote office is on a MPLS for exmaple. Using local switching is reartly used becuase if you lose the conenction with the main office you have bigger issues then having wireless access.

These are the 2 questions my customers always look at ...

I hope this helps...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card