Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1230B upragrade to 12.3(2)JA fails

etmarcof
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I upgraded an AP1230B to 12.3(2)JA i didn't see that this IOS only supports AP1230AG.Now i can't get in in AP, and i see in console:

flashfs[1]: Initialization complete....done Initializing flashfs.

Hi have 3 steady green lights.

Are there any recovery procedure?

BR

4 Replies 4

pbarman
Level 5
Level 5

Check the last table on this link which says AP1230B is supported by 12.3.2JA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_bulletin0900aecd801b83b0.html

However I have a AP1231G and is having problem getting it to work on 12.3.2JA !!

alinn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello BR,

You can use that code for any 1100 or 1200 series AP the support for the 1230AG and 1130AG is a new feature for this release of IOS. So it is not limited to only those types of AG APs.

snip from release notes....Support for Cisco Aironet 1230AG and 1130AG Series Access Points

Support for Cisco Aironet 1230AG series and Cisco Aironet 1130AG series access points is now available. These access points support all access point features introduced in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(2)JA, as well as all features supported by Cisco Aironet 1100 Series and 1200 Series access points in Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.2(15)JA, 12.2(15)XR, and earlier releases......

Check out the below url for steps on recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801d0188.html#wp1040300

Reloading the Access Point Image

If your access point has a firmware failure, you must reload the complete access point image file using the Web browser interface or on 1100 and 1200 series access points, by pressing and holding the MODE button for around 30 seconds. You can use the browser interface if the access point firmware is still fully operational and you want to upgrade the firmware image. However, you can use the MODE button when the access point has a corrupt firmware image. On 350 series access points, you cannot use the MODE button to reload the image file, but you can use the CLI through a Telnet or console port connection.

Using the MODE button

You can use the MODE button on 1100 and 1200 series access points to reload the access point image file from an active Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server on your network or on a PC connected to the access point Ethernet port.

Note You cannot use the mode button to reload the image file on 350 series access points. To reload the image file on 350 series access points, follow the instructions in the "Using the CLI" section.

Note If your access point experiences a firmware failure or a corrupt firmware image, indicated by three red LED indicators, you must reload the image from a connected TFTP server.

Note This process resets all configuration settings to factory defaults, including passwords, WEP keys, the access point IP address, and SSIDs.

Follow these steps to reload the access point image file:

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated. For additional information, refer to the "Obtaining the Access Point Image File" and "Obtaining TFTP Server Software" sections.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1100-k9w7-tar.default for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

This will load the image from the laptop/desktop that has the tftp server on it. Let me know the results.

Regards,

Aaron

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

I suggest you to remove the 802.11g radio. Then, reboot the AP and downgrade the software.

Alternatively, you can go to the following URL to recover the AP fro a tftp server, as describe in the attachment.

I wonder if you can open a TAC SR and ship us the AP please. You are the third customer reporting the problem. We cannot reproduce the problem in our lab.

Hi,

Thanks for the support.

Before i post this message i have tried to power on and power off AP and the result is the same.

But yesterday when i see your answers,and when i power on again AP to implemt recovery procedure, AP is working and i didn't nothing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: