Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple iOS Version 7 bad roaming

s.vosper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Has anyone experienced problems with the Apple devices and fast secure roaming since iOS version 7.

We are seeing a very definate delay with its resoonce to the "server hello" packet. It is taking iOS 7 devices around 9-12 seconds to reply with the "change cipher spec" handshake message. The device recieves the "server hello" from the AP and then just sits there for about 10 seconds without transmitting a single packet. It then eventually resonds with the correct packet. We notice this behaviour on Iphone 5, Ipad Air, Ipad 2 and 3. When running iOS version 6 they do not have this problem. Problem occurs when roaming between access points.

ipad roam issue.JPG

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have a WLC and if so what code version?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I dont not have a Cisco WLC but we are working a wireless controller architechture. The system is of another vendor but as this problem seems to be a fundimental problem with how the apple device responce I am trying to see if anyone else has experienced issue with these devices.

I appreciate that eviroments, configurations and supported protocols could be different, but as I said this appreas to be a problem with the device not responding in a timely fashion.

Appreciate and input

Can't really say, but I have also seen my iDevices start dropping off.  What I had to do on the Cisco side was to disable session timers which seems to fix it, but with the latest WLC v7.6 code, I have issues with other devices other than Apple:)

See if you can disable the session timer and see if that helps.  Also I noticed that when using WPA and WPA2, it breaks so I have been using WPA2/AES.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott

Thanks, appreciate the input

At the end of the day, the decision to associate to which AP is the sole responsibility of the wireless client itself. Have you tested this against iOS 6.X and 7.X? I am asking this basic question because last December 2013 I did a "roam" with my iPhone 4 with iOS 7.0.3 and it roamed as expected.

My recommendation is to get two iPads of the same generation. Restore both units to default before you upgrade one of the iPad to 7.0.3 and the other iPad to 6.0.3. Download a free app called "Ping Analyzer". Make sure the SSID has WPA2/AES or OPEN authentication. Once this is set up, roam with them.

If you don't have a Cisco wireless network, it would be hard for us to help you because we all know the "behaviour" of the the Cisco wireless components.

You may have to reach out to the wireless vendor and see what they've got.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Lee

We have tested with an iOS 6.x device. With 6.x the ipad responds very quickly to the server hello. With iOS 7.x it does not.We know our infrastructure kit is responding promtly and with the expected packet. For some reason the apple device is not responding in a timely fashion. I tried to reach out on here as there was was a better chance of people having seen this problem with the Apple device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card