cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple iPads and iPhones on the WLAN

emnyman1027
Level 1
Level 1

I've been reading some of the forums and it seems a lot of people are having trouble with iPhones and iPads on the wireless network. Well, I am as well. I have several wlans (all with different security wpa/psk, wpa2 enterprise, etc.) on our enterprise network including a guest WLAN which has no security. The wlc's are 5508's.

I've never had any trouble connecting to the unsecured guest network but I've had lots of trouble with the secured networks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Nothing is consistent. I could try connecting 50 times and do nothing different and on the 51st time it would connect with no issue. I've experienced this with both the iPhone and iPad. It seems like the devices always try to hop right to the guest network and don't even try the secure network.

Anyone have any ideas or experiencing the same issue?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As a personal comment, I have issues connecting my macbook to pretty much any wireless (cisco or not), so Apple is a bit lazy to my opinion.

You could maybe post your SSID configuration (show run) as well as how you configured the ipad/iphone ?

Also provide a "debug client " of the phone/pad trying to connect.

emnyman1027
Level 1
Level 1

It will take me a bit to get the configuration and debuts online but one of the WLANs is just wpa-psk. I should mention that the SSID is not broadcasted but the guest network is. When I did a debug yesterday, I didn't even see the iPad even attempt to connect to the secure network, just went automatically switched to the unsecured guest network.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

hummm for the record I have no problem with my iPad or Mac at all. I did have problems when CCKM was enabled. Apple doesnt support it. If time permits it would be good to get a packet cpature of the association process.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card