Views
Helpful
Replies

AppleTV via the Wireless Lan Controller

jonmo2578
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with what seems to be a common issue/query regarding getting AppleTV to work via the Wireless Lan Controller..

We are running WCS 7.0.172.0, our WISM controllers are on software version 7.0.116.0 and our APs are a mixture of 1140 and 1142s with both 11a/n and 11b/g enabled.

What we are finding is that we are able to stream to the AppleTV box when connected to the LAN and both devices are on the same subnet.

however, as soon as we go onto the WLAN ( both devices on the same subnet ) , the end device can no longer see the AppleTV box to stream too..

Looking at past discussions, this seems to be a common issue.. e.g.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2106976

http://www.soyo123.com/2011/02/apple-tv-with-cisco-wireless-lan.html

with the solution being ensuring that Multicast has been enabled on the Controllers under System->Multicast..

As far as I can see, we have the following enabled but we are still unable to stream to the AppleTV box over the wifi..

Ethernet Mutlicast Support = Multicast

Enable GLobal Multicast Mode = yes

Enable IGMP Snooping = yes

Multicast Direct feature = yes

and we have provided a Multicast group address 239.224.64.80

Has anyone else experience any similar problems.. ?

Have I missed anything else.. ?

Any advice would be much appreciated..

many thanks.

Jon.

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jon,

Do you also have Broadcast Forwarding Enabled?

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.. yes according to the Controller Summary ( see below ), Broadcast Forwarding is enabled... but still not able to see the AppleTV box on the wifi.

show network summary

Ethernet Multicast Forwarding............... Enable

Ethernet Broadcast Forwarding............... Enable

AP Multicast/Broadcast Mode................. Multicast   Address : 239.224.64.80

IGMP snooping............................... Enabled

IGMP timeout................................ 60 seconds

IGMP Query Interval......................... 20 seconds

I dont know if I ever see Apple Bonjour work on anything other than 1 subnet...

Have you Steve ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jon -- Check this out ...

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=38807

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hey George

Thanks for the links.

I'm aware that the devices need to be in the same subnet in order for bonjour to work.

During testing we have put the apple tv box and laptop into the same vlan on the LAN and as expected everything worked.

When we move this onto the WLan and use the same vlan, the laptop can no longer find the Apple tv anymore to stream to despite being pingable.

Regards

Jon

Jon,

Did you get it to work? Have you tried disabling the P2P blocking function under the wlan settings?

Craig

Hi Jon,

Also double check proper PIM multicast routing configuration enabled on the necessary vlans. You'll want PIM enabled on the ap manager vlan as well as the vlan the APs reside in. (Or are the APs in the same  vlan as your ap-manager?)

-Pat

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card