cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs disapearing

Matt Gouveia
Level 1
Level 1

We just upgraded light-weight APs (AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9) to 7.2.110.0, and now we get APs which disapear off the network:

They are still getting POE

Their light is blue

They do not show up on CDP neighbor command, even though the port is still showing connected

Orion monitoring reports them as down

I cannot find a bug report on this, but admit I am not sure what to search for at this point.

Any ideas?  Our controller is a 5508 team with 99 APs connected.

Thanks for any help!

8 Replies 8

keith.holder
Level 1
Level 1

Do the lights ever turn white and stay that way?  I had a simalar issue with the 3502s that was a bug.  Not sure if all the lights turned white, but the APs sometimes rebooted also.  Telnet to the AP.  Do you see this error when you issue a show ver?

“System returned to ROM by watchdog timer expired”.

Here is the bug I was hitting.  CSCtu24972

The resolution at the time was to manually upgrade the AP with a special version of code posted by TAC. 

Hi Keith... Thanks for responding!

The light so far has only shown blue.  My electrician is going to kill me if he has to check on another one which is reported as down but showing up and active.

It is showing the normal "System returned to ROM by power-on".  (Solution to the issue so far has been to shut the interface, then no shut it to kill the POE.)

The logs do show "*Mar  1 00:00:09.578: *** CRASH_LOG = YES", but I cannot find an obvious crash file on the AP.  I looked on the controller and did not find any log file in the Management > Tech Support > AP Crash Log location.

Any other ideas?

Have you tried doing a "show ap crash-file" on the controller's cli ? If there isn't one generated you can use the command "config ap crash-file get-crash-data " or "config ap crash-file get-crash-file " to retrieve the crash file from the access point.

Alex

Alex

And possibly "show ap eventlog "

Alex

Alex

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen something like this.  It does NOT show up in the WLC "CDP" but shows up on the Cisco switch CDP.

But I saw this behaviour in 7.0.98.0 (if I remembered).  Cisco TAC recommends that you put a tick on each individual WAP's "CDP" box.  Sorry, I can't remember which tab that is because I don't have a WLC at home.  (Scott, this is a signal for you to join in since you have a 2504 at home.)

Another option is to upgrade your WLC firmware to the 7.3.X.

You know... I have had this issue on 5508's running 7.0.x and 7.2.x. The weird thing was.... Well I upgraded the code and all of a sudden CDP worked and I was able to see the AP's CDP neighbor. I did have a TAC case open and they escalated it to the route switch team. We did captures and everything looked fine. This happened to me at three different clients. I will try to find the TAC case... Never did have this issue on my 2504.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just to clarify, the switch were able to see the APs in CDP, but not the other way around. Ian's I'm talking about 150+ AP's that were affected. Enabling CDP on the AP itself did not work also.

When you upgraded, did you upgrade the FUS image? That is important!!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are cdp only not working or AP appears to be down.

are one or all APs from particular switch got affected.

post show tech, show log, more event.log from AP.

does it shows on wlc as joined.

snmp can't poll AP straightly, it does poll the wlc.

cdp on ap is enabled by default, click ap goto advanced to see cdp option.

AP#debug cdp.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card