Views
Helpful
Replies

ASCOM wifi phone problems

jimontoro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello;

I have a problem with wireless phones are brand ASCOM. Are supported by Cisco.
The problem is that, without moving your site, you lose your coverage and 3 seconds back. The configuration of the WLC is recommended by ASCOM.
The wifi network is composed of 160 AP's.

Please I need help because it has become a very urgent problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Ascom has also had issues in the past with connectivity to an SSID that has Aironet Extensions enabled on it especially if you had more than 4 SSID's.  If Aironet Extensions is enabled on that SSID I would try disabling it and see if it helps.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm highly suspicious that Ascom knows anything about proper WLC voice configuration ...

Maybe you can post your wlc "show run-config" to start ?

You can also collect traffic stream metrics on the WLC or phone statistics to identify if there are packet drops or whatever noticeable.

Nicolas

Hello,

I configured the WLC as recommended to me Ascom. The problem has improved but we still have random cuts.

Thanks in advanced.

Again, please post your configuration so that we can comment it.

Nicolas

Hello,

I attach the configuration and a pdf with the recomendations of Ascom.

Thanks.

Are your phones using the a band or the b/g band ?

I see that all APs are at max power which usually indicates poor coverage.

Is there a feature on the phone to show the current signal strength ? If yes can you walk around and note down the lowest signal strengths observed ?

Nicolas

We are using the b / g / n band.

We configure the maximum power because we thought it would be the problem. We have a wifi network with high density of APs.

In the phone can see the RSSI and Ap which is connected at that time.

Is it possible that the problem is that the phone detects too many Ap's?

The b/g/n band when there are so many SSIDs with laptop is a huge risk in the first place.

I see in your configuration that the APs are set to global configuration so it's the WLC which decided of power level 1 it seems.

You attached a "show run-config no-ap" so I cannot comment on the density of APs. I find it strange that you call it high density and that the WLC would give the max power to all APs.

Yes too many APs at too much power is a problem as it just creates too many interferences.

Nicolas

I attach the complete configuration.

We configure the AP's with the full power to try to resolve the problem.

The WCS hasn´t interference alarms.

jcomphel
Level 1
Level 1

Had this same issue and went to Ascom with the following

i62    does not support CCKM or 802.11r

begins looking at 6dBm differences when it drops to a -70dBm signal

begins looking at 3dBm differences when it drops to a -73 dBm signal

beacons every 6 seconds.

Running sw ver. 2.2.22

Mark Bailey - Ascom technician recommended moving to 2.5.9 as this addresses the observed drops in an active conversation.  The call does not drop, just the audio. Has to do with polling multiple AP's causing CPU to get too busy (typical environment). It looks like they changed the polling interval to free up SPU cycles (release notes don't show this bug - Internal bug) - This bug has been around for a long time and just recently got fixed.

2.5.9 requires no change to the VoIP gateway.  Upgrading the phones to the latest release, 4.1.12 requires VoIP gateway upgrade as well.

Moving to 2.5.9 fixed the intermittant loss of voice issues went away. Good Luck

There's a bug in the way ASCOM phones interpret 802.1n traffic. The workaround is to disable 802.1n on the phones.

Kindly refer to: CSCud65237

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Ascom has also had issues in the past with connectivity to an SSID that has Aironet Extensions enabled on it especially if you had more than 4 SSID's.  If Aironet Extensions is enabled on that SSID I would try disabling it and see if it helps.

My customer has thought in remove the Ascom telephone.

thank you very much for your help.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ascom having issues working with unii2 and unii2 extended channel.

When using primary and secondary channel there's an voice issue. Disable 40Mhz and enable 20Mhz.

Ascom's I62 sets that were not allowing for the amount of frequency offset required per IEEE specifications. you've to contact Ascom to get the fixed code, Hope they help here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: