Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast does not pass WLC 2504

v_sapunov
Level 1
Level 1

Good day.

I can’t configure Sonos via WIFI network. Built on CIsco WLC 2504.

Attachment Scheme.

When setting up, you need to press the buttons on Sonos and it starts sending broadcast pacet to the network at the address 255.255.255.255. which the phone connected to the wireless network should see. The controller does not skip broadcast pacet. Enabled in the controller settings

Broadcast forwarding
Enable Global Multicast Mode

May be someone knows how to allow the passage of broadcast pacet through the controller?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Next thing I would do, is to configure a SPAN port on the Cisco to mirror the packets of the Sonos and check if it gets the broadcasts and replies to them. Who knows, maybe the Sonos has some defect?

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Yes. I saw this. I have followed all the recommendations. I can connect to configured SONOS and play music. But I still have problems. I can not perform the initial configuration of SONOS. At the moment of pressing the button, the phone does not see SONOS

During installation, I press a button on SONOS and it starts sending a broadcast packet to the network. My phone connected to the same network via Wireless does not receive these packets. In the dump attachment from the port where SONOS is connected

Then I sadly don't know, never used a SONOS.

What I can recommend though, make sure you run the latest version of the major release on the WLC. So if you use 8.0.x, upgrade to the latest 8.0 version.

You did enable multicast (IGMP) on your network router?

Do you have manageable switches? If yes, is IGMP enabled?

I use 8.5.151.0. IGMP enable to Router.
Multicast packets pass between LAN and Wireless network. Broadcast packets dont pass between LAN and Wireless.
By default, the WLC does not pass Broadcast, but I setting on broadcast forwarding, this does not help. Packages 255.255.255.255 do not reach customers of Wireless

I though SONOS uses Multicast and not Broadcast.
Can you pair it while the SONOS is attached to the LAN and afterwards switch to wireless?

Yes SONOS used Multicast, but to install a new device, he requires a broadcast on 255.255.255.255. This is not very good and can only be installed from a mobile phone. I send request support sonos.
SONOS connect to lan but controller installed on a mobile phone.

Broadcast from WLAN to LAN should work, the problem is from LAN to WLAN, which is blocked by default (for good reasons).

That's why I think it should work if the SONOS is connected to the LAN for the initial setup.

One more thing, you have Global Broadcast Forwarding enabled?  "Controller > General > Broadcast Forwarding > Enabled"

Please note, this can flood your wireless clients and is generally a bad idea.

Yes I have Global Broadcast Forwarding enabled. I do not see Broadcast packets on the wireless network from LAN.

Controller -> mDNS -> General -> Global snooping checked.
Controller -> General -> Broadcast Forwarding enabled.
Controller -> General -> AP multicast mode set to multicast with the ip 239.255.255.250.

Controller -> mDNS -> General -> Global snooping checked.
Controller -> General -> Broadcast Forwarding enabled.
Controller -> General -> AP multicast mode set to multicast with the ip 239.255.255.250.

Yes, I made all these settings.

I have attached a screenshot.

Sonos send broadcast packets. Wireless network dont have it broadcast packet.

Try to use a different Multicast IP address for the WLC, that address 239.255.255.250 is reserved for SSDP. You don't want your WLC using that address.
Also, is your Switch IGMP capable?
Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for the help.
I tried using a different multicast address, this did not help.
I am using the cisco switch. IGMP snooping is enabled by default on them.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: