cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 WLC - Can secondary IP subnets be used for client VLANs?

joachim68
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all

Does anyone know if it is possible to use multiple (secondary) IP Subnets for a wireless client VLAN on the C9800 IOS-XE platform?

With AireOS WLCs that was not supported and we had to use either one (primary) subnet per client VLAN/dynamic interface or we had to create multiple separate VLANs (with only one subnet per VLAN) and attach them to an interface group, if e.g. expansion was needed.

Many thanks!

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-743627.html

- Read the paragraph starting from Roaming between policy tags

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello M. 

Many thanks for your fast reply. My question is not directly related to roaming. I already read that section, but didn‘t find any hint regarding using multiple subnets within one single VLAN (like often used for LANs). I am aware that multiple VLANs can be bundled. But I was looking for a more „easy“ way to e.g add client subnets without the need of creating a lot of VLANs, interfaces, adding them to trunks on the switches, etc... I also wanted to avoid huge subnet sizes... Our campus is rather big, with thousands of clients. As client interfaces are handled differently with IOS—XE, my hope was it might be possible. 

Anyway, thanks for you help

Joachim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: