cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a Bridge act as a repeater to extend the range

faisal.farooq
Level 1
Level 1

1.Can a Bridge BR-342 act as a repeater to extend the range ?

2.If 2 bridges are in root mode with same SSID,to which bridge the client bridge will associate if all the three of them are using omnidirectional antenna ?

Thanks for your help.

faisal@skykom.net

4 Replies 4

lomanve
Level 1
Level 1

A BR-342 can be set up to be a repeater. Only one bridge may be root with the SSID the same on all bridges.

Set one end bridge as ROOT, and just make sure the others are not ROOT, but make sure other settings match. In my implementation, I have the middle bridge set for ACCESS POINT.

yadvender
Level 1
Level 1

You can use BRIDGE as a Repeater by surfing doen the menu . cisco web site explains that you cannot use User two or more root bridges on the same RF LAN , Only one bridge will act as a ROOT=ON mode and remaining should be ROOT=OFF

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/102/wlan/connectivity.html

Page 9 , Last

You may require CCO login for this .

won't this configuration effectively half your bandwidth?

I am under the impression that you should put two repeaters in the middle connected via ethernet.Sort of one for this way and the other for that way...Any way to do this other than separate SSID's?

Which way is correct?

Thanks for your help...

Using a single bridge as a repeater will cut your performance because the radio is by nature half-duplex. It must stop receiving to transmit (talk OR listen, not both).

Using two bridges back-to-back (preferably with a cross-over cable) allows one to transmit while the other is receiving, but you will still have some latency.

Not everyone likes the idea of paying for two bridges to get a repeater, but in some cases you can install a custom built repeater for less.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card