Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't get embedded AP on 891W to accept clients

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I have a very simple configuration that I'd like to do, which I have done before, but yet can't do now. 

I have an 891W router, the embedded ap801 instad.  IOS on both is 15.2. 

I have an SSID set up, using wpa-psk.  I have a fully working configuration identical to this at a customer site, yet here, I do the same configuration and all of my wireless devices cannot connect (they do see the ssid broadcasting though). 

I really have no idea how to troubleshoot, since comparin this configuration to a working one reveals they are done the same.  The difference here, I have no LAN cables connected to WAN or LAN ports, but I don't see how that should matter if trying to connect by WLAN and get an IP via DHCP from the router. 

Actually now that I think about it, one difference:  the working config, they have a DHCP server on a Windows server - here, I have DHCP set up on the IOS router itself.  So maybe the inability to connect (Apple and Windows devices just say "can't connect", notthing more specific...) is just that it can't get an IP via DHCP ?

Is therer a way via the IOS on the AP to look at logs, debug, or what not to see if clients are connecting but perhaps just nogt getting DHCP through to the IOS on the host router? 

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On the AP you can do
Show dot11 associations
To see what clients are connected.

From the router you should be able to debug the dhcp server process and see if the router is getting the requests.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you post the config if the AP and the router?

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Steve, I"ll continue on this issue startingt today.  I had gotten buried under  a bunch of work and just got out now

Give me a bit to reply with the inf you requested.  But first, I"m going to try everyting again just to make sure the issue hasn't changed. 

What happens if you configure OPEN SSID?  No encryption?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card