Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we use multiple antenna on 1 AP?

ittichai_a
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Anyone

I have a bit confuse with antenna. Possible i using multiple antenna with 1 AP? for example i using 1550 which 1 raio port for patch and other with omi on 5 Ghz. And how it different with other model? such as 2702e / 1602e  because it have more antenna also. Please help

Thanks

V

4 Replies 4

Yes, with 802.11n (MIMO -Multiple Input Multiple Output), an AP can have multiple radio chains (with multiple transmitter & multiple receiver antenna).

For example 2700 is 3x4 MIMO with 3 spatial stream support. That mean this AP has 4 radio chains where 3 transmitter antenna & 4 receiver antenna. With those 3 Tx antenna you can transmit 3 different data streams at the same time to a client which increase the throughput by 3 times compare to single tx antenna AP.

Hope that make sense

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses **** 

Hi Rasika
Thanks with your answer. So, what about outdoor 1550EU ? because on 1550EUhave 3 port for 2.4Ghz and 3 port for 5 Ghz. On 5 ghz, can i use port 1 for direct antenna, port 2 for omi antenna and port 3 for direc antenna?

Thanks

V

Hi 

This gives information about 1552 supported antenna options

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/installation/guide/1550_ch2.html#wp1311040

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika

Could you please explain to me. As AP2702E has 4 antenna ports

But specs of MIMO is 3x4:3 and as information you shared "3 transmitter antenna & 4 receiver antenna and 3 spatial stream", so does it mean that transmitter antenna is internal, and receiver antenna is external right?

Regards

HDT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card