Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you use a IOS 3600 wireless access point as a bridge

Rockford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community folk,

I have a project manager who has come to me after selling a 3600 + 802.11ac upgrade module to a customer to use as a wirelesss bridge, they have actually got it connected but only at 54M, I've done some digging into this and can't seem to find the right answer, or maybe I have?

From the release notes:

Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points for Cisco IOS Releases 15.2(4)JA.

It states that:

The point-to-point and point-to-multipoint bridging is supported on the Cisco Aironet 1040, 1140, 1250 Series Access Points (802.11n platforms).

Is that my answer  or can the 3600 be set up as a wireless bridge utilising the higher data rates?

BR

Rockford

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what encryption are you configured for?

to get the higher rates you have to use WPA2/AES or Open/No Auth, and WMM has to be allowed

You also need multiple antennas so that the radios can have the MIMO/spatial streams

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

And remember that the AC module uses internal radios only...  A bridge would typically require the use of the external antennae (I'm assuming you have a 3602e?) and therefore will 'only' operate at 802.11N rates and not at AC rates.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the prompt reply, this is the correct answer but I was aware of the WPA2/AES requirement to enable the higher rates that 802.11n supports. The question was really around whether the 3602 + 802.11ac module was capable of bridging as I found the passage stipulating that the models that supoport bridging are the 1040, 1140 and 1250 series. The problem is I do not have access to this device I was asked the question directly and wanted to find a definitive response.

Hi Richard,

Thanks to you too for the reply, I'm aware the ac module is modular (no external connections) again I have no information around its location or distance. as you have correctly stated usually you'd use some kind of external antenna: patch, yagi, directional of some kind!

I seem to remember that the IOS for the 3600 was a skinny version purely for site surveying but this may have changed. I have been sent the 'show tech' and as Steve has pointed out it had only been configured for wpa tkip, I think the guys installing it must have just tried the express set up via the GUI!!!!

I'll update this post when I get the final results back, the distance it is spanning and the speed that it states it is connected at

Kind regards

Rockford

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card