cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot disable Dynamic AP Interface - Subnet conflict

R.Beeching
Level 1
Level 1

I have four physical interfaces set up on my foreign controller in the following format:

1 - Management (Primary) vlan 100

2 - Management (backup Port) vlan 100

3 - Dynamic-AP1 - Vlan 100

4 - Dynamic-AP2 - Vlan 100

Now interfaces 3+4 are a recent addition and their sole purpose is for managing the APs and doing auto load balancing etc. After implementing this and the APs joining interfaces 1,3 and 4 (2 is just a backup port) respectively I then wanted to disable the dyanmic AP management capability on Port 1 however I get the message:

Could not disable dyanmic AP mangement on interface. Operation denied due to subnet conflict.

The IPs for all the interfaces are setup within a /24 subnet and go from .10 - 12 respectively in that subnet.

I tried rebooting the controller and doing it  before any APs joined it and also tried physically disconnecting it and trying but no joy. My questions are:

1) Is it Cisco best practice to not have any of the WAPs joined on the management interface or will this be ok?

3) Any idea how I get round this subnet conflict? I tried doing the disable via the CLI as well but received the same message

Thanks,

Ric

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard,

It's not best practice for us to not use LAG. We don't ever implement using separate ports for AP's like what you are doing. Put the WLC in LAG and configure the etherchannel on the switch and allow the vlans that you have created on the WLC. That's how I have done all my installs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott +5.

The reason I have not set them up in LAG is ports 1 + 3 go to one chassis with 2 + 4 to the other so in the event of one failing the system will failover to the backup. They are separate chassis so not sure if multichassis etherchannel will be achieveable.

If I do setup LAG would it be best to just bond interfaces 1 + 2 and have all the APs dynamically managed on there? 3 and 4 could remain physically connected (but shutdown) for potential future expansion.

Cheers,

Ric

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Okay... Here is the way to do it:)

Port 1 is primary for your management and also dynamic ap manager connected to chassis 1

Port 2 is backup for your management and also dynamic ap manager connected to chassis 2

Port 3 is primary for dynamic interface x chassis 2

Port 4 is backup for dynamic interface x
chassis 1

Now you can add more dynamic interfaces and choose which port is primary and backup too. Make sure that the switchport is set to trunk and only allow the vlans necessary. So port 1 and 2 that is connected to the switch should allow only the management vlan. Port 3 and 4 you only allow the dynamic interface vlans not the management.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card