Views
Helpful
Replies

CAP3502E not joining WLC 5508

mcaoile
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am wondering why the APs don't join the controller even though the APs and WLC are in the same subnet (VLAN245).  I consoled to the AP and there was a message   '%CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip'.  I connected my laptop to the port where the AP is connected and I get an IP (see attached).  If I put a static IP, the AP will join the WLC.  I am attaching some capture hoping it can be of help.

Regards,             

23 Replies 23

I mustve done something wrong in the past because it didn't work when I was playing with the DHCP function for the AP. 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One other thing. On the Nexus since your WLC is connected there:) you need to make sure your load balancing is set to src-dst-ip. This was available on the N7K on v5.1.2 or later. I noticed that you have an Etherchannel configured from the config above. Maybe only use one port on the WLC and see if that works. Might be how the Nexus is handling the traffic.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Ok.  I'll remove LAG in WLC and try with 1 port only and remove port channeling.  I'll try this maybe tomorrow.

Regards,

You don't need to remove the port channel, but maybe its best to. This way, we know that the traffic is flowing to the same port on the WLC. With a different type of load balancing that the WLC doesn't support, the WLC is expecting the traffic in the same port it sent the traffic out on. Keep up posted.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Did the test yesterday and was not successful. The AP did not get an IP.  Strange!!!!

The APs that I have primed before and moved it to a diffrent subnet has no problem joining the controller. For the new APs that I am priming can't get any IP.  When I put some APs which now are in a different subnet back to the same subnet as the WLC, it gets an IP.  I deleted the old pool and created a new pool.  If I connect the new AP in the same port as the AP which got an IP, it''s not getting an IP.  This is the message I get:

Mar  1 00:40:34.053: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !! 

I tested connecting to the wireless and the client got an IP.  So now, I can't prime the APs.

So, I connected the new AP to the other subnet and the AP can't join.  It's getting an IP but won't join.  If I enter manually the WLC IP address, the AP will join the WLC.  The IT administrator has already configured Option 43. I run a debug dhpc detail in the AP and I saw this message:

*Mar  1 00:48:13.243: DHCP: look up vendor specific information for Gi0 ret: fail

I am attaching some files.  Maybe it could be of help.

Message was edited by: MANUELITO CAOILE

n.dambrosio
Level 1
Level 1

When I perform wireless deployments I like to put the DHCP scope on the core switch where the SVI lives. I don't use scope option 43 out 60 because I don't believe it works that well.

Once the scope is created I use command "forward-protocol udp 12223" and 4256 which are the lwapp and capwap port number. Then place an "ip helper-address" command that points to the wlc.

Per Cisco's design documentation it is best practice to implement a L3 capwap environment rather than L2

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi Nicholas,

Where do you enter the command "forward-protocol udp 12223 or 5246", in the core switch or wan router?

Regards,

n.dambrosio
Level 1
Level 1

Whoops, that's udp port number 5246 and 12223. I learned this trick from a CCIE wireless.

n.dambrosio
Level 1
Level 1

These commands get entered into the corn switch where the SVI are configured.

Basically, your allowing the forwarding off these udp ports with the help of the ip helper command.

Cisco only allows 5 protocols to be forwarded such as dhcp and tftp.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card