cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Captive Portal without authentication (got IP through DHCP / Partially working without agreement??)

Kyujin Choi
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your time first. 

I have one IP camera which will connect to guest-wifi and clinet connecting through wifi (same LAN; subnet)

The problem I have is guest wifi asks agreement page (captive portal) like Starbucks wifi.(you should click "agree" to use wifi in public space)  I can click agreement button from client PC, but IP camera cannot click agreement button. So, here is my question. 

Q 1. When IP camera detects open network (i.e cisco), it will connect and get IP address through DHCP. I can put ssid and automatic connection through IP camera. At that moment (got IP), without clicking agreement, can ip camera communicate with client which is in same subnet? For example, IP camera got 10.1.1.100 without agreement, and client is 10.1.1.101 (with agreement) IP camera doesn't need internet reachability (will be used for only internal)

I guess answer is "No"

------  Update -----

I tested at Safeway wifi which has a captive portal. Basically I have my cellphone with airplane mode (only wifi enabled) and my laptop. Two devices were able to connect wifi and got IP addresses like 10.1.0.192 and 10.1.0.193 even before agreement box clicked. At this moment, they were able to ping only default gateway 10.1.0.1, but not able to go to internet (even ping doesn't work to any public website, such as 8.8.8.8 unless agreement cliecked) They also not able to ping each other 10.1.0.192 <-> 10.1.0.193 even though they are same subnet. 

Let me ask different question. 

Q1.1 -> I guess they are not able to communicate each other. I am more curious the state that client got IP without agreement. It seems ping is working to default gateway. Then what kind of technology can block other connection (i.e googl.com (DNS), ping  to public, ping to client which is in same subnet).  

1 Reply 1

If you are using Web Auth Passthrough (accept terms) then you must click the accept in order to move from WEBAUTH_REQD to RUN.

Here is information about the process.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/100260-wlc-debug-client.html#controller_processes

It will not allow L3 traffic. You will need to use a different authorization for the camera that it can support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: