Views
Helpful
Replies

Centralized Auth. / Local Switching - Common SSID

jcartier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking at a design where I would have a few remote sites and a centralized WLC.  My requirement would be to have a common SSID advertised across the remote sites and have that SSID locally switch; so to note tunnel all the traffic across the WAN back to the central site.

I know the feature I'm looking for is H-REAP with Centralized Authentication and Local switching...but I'm unsure of the second part...which is to have a common SSID across the remote sites.  How do I accomplish the second part?  I heard mention of using AP Groups in another post.  Just looking for more direction.

5 Replies 5

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You're all correct except on the last part.

what you want to do is configure your SSID in advanced options to enable HREAP Local switching.

Then only the APS at remote site you move to HREAP mode one by one.

From there, all the APs you configured as HREAP will be locally switching traffic and the APs in local mode will still forward traffic through the controller.

I hope this clarifies ?

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Alright...

So if I configure the WLAN to support H-REAP Local Switching...is their anything further I need to do on the AP side?

For instance...if the WLAN in question is called "Internal"...and I want this SSID to be common at the remote sites...will I then need to map it to a local Vlan?  And will that vlan need to be consistance across the board? What is remote site 1 uses vlan 100...and remote site 2 uses vlan 200?

Your "local" mode APs (so central site) will use the interface of the WLC mapped in the WLAN.

The HREAP APs, you can go on each one of them (wlc web page "wireless->aps"), in the hreap tab and define the vlan on which the AP will drop the ssid traffic. So that vlan is dependent on the switch where the hreap ap is connected and can be different for each hreap AP.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Thanks Nicholas, I'll check this out.

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I second Nico.. here is the best config example for HREAP..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card