Views
Helpful
Replies

Christi Brio on a multi-layer network

AdamF1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have Christi Brio's going up in multiple areas that have different L3 wired networks. They want to be able to access it wirelessly for airplay but from what I am seeing is that you have to be on the same subnet. I am not going to trunk a wireless vlan across 30 different closets. 

-2-Wism2's

-7.4.121 code

-wireless SSID users will connect to in order to access the network is a multi-vlan SSID (grouping).

-Each wism2 has its own set of VLAN's for this SSID

Has anyone else worked with these or been successful getthing these to work on different subnets? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In local mode deployments, the wireless traffic is tunneled back to the WLC and the WLC will place that on the network.  So in this design which is typical, you need to have the wireless vlans defined on the WLC and on the switch that the WLC connects to.  L3 to the access works for the wired side but not the same for the wireless.  If the AP's are in FlexConnect, then you can map an SSID to a vlan at that closet, but roaming would break in your case since the subnet isn't trunked to the other closets.  So look at this way.... your wireless traffic will not be specific to each closet but will reside in the distro/core or where the controllers connect to.

Scott

**Please rate helpful post**

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Thank you that was helpful but I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around a L3 network with this.

From what I have read and seen in other deployments is that the controller has to have that Device's vlan trunked to it.

-Am I wrong on this assumption? 

Each one of my closets has an individual L3 vlan associated to it and this vlan does not get trunked anywhere else. I will not be trunking 200 different vlans across multiple cores/distributions, sites, and controllers. I will also not be creating a L2 vlan to extend to 200 closets. 

In local mode deployments, the wireless traffic is tunneled back to the WLC and the WLC will place that on the network.  So in this design which is typical, you need to have the wireless vlans defined on the WLC and on the switch that the WLC connects to.  L3 to the access works for the wired side but not the same for the wireless.  If the AP's are in FlexConnect, then you can map an SSID to a vlan at that closet, but roaming would break in your case since the subnet isn't trunked to the other closets.  So look at this way.... your wireless traffic will not be specific to each closet but will reside in the distro/core or where the controllers connect to.

Scott

-Scott

So basically the design I want to do would not work? 

That is correct, it will not work that way.  Best is if traffic tunnels back to the WLC and you define the Subnets there. 

Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott,

I thought since all his wireless traffic tunnel back to those two WiSM, it would work. (no flexconnect)

Similar to AppleTV connected to the network via wired setup.

Rasika

Rasika,

I think the OP wants to have the wireless vlans at each access closet instead of where the controller is connected to.  So for SSID1, the user would get an ip address from that subnet on that closet.  I have clients that also do L3 to the access and they want everything consistent, but it just doesn't work that way.  

Scott

-Scott

Thanks Scott, now I understand.

In this scenario even device is wired connected, he cannot extend that wired vlan upto WiSM connected switch.

Rasika

It's hard to really design it without whiteboarding:)  You can add FlexConnect ap as an mDNS AP so that the WLC has visibility to the wired side. 

Scott

-Scott

Hi Adam,

I'm running into the same exact scenario right now with our campus network.  Like you, I do not want to trunk vlans all over campus to make this work.  I saw your update from a month ago on how you were able to get it working.  For some reason I can't respond to it in this post, but I'm scratching my head a bit on exactly how you got it going.  You said this:

My Brio devices were on a L3 vlan where as my wireless network was a L2. The way around this was to go into the AP and add the L3 Vlan to mDNS snooping. This allows the L2 network to see the L3.

I'm confused as to how you actually accomplished this.   When you say "go into the AP", I'm not sure what you mean and I'm still not sure how it will allows the AP's L2 network to see the wired L3's network.  In my example the Brio is in vlan 173 and the AP is in vlan 363...I don't see how the AP could ever see the 173 traffic unless I turned the AP wired port into a trunk.

Any additional info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

-dan

AdamF1
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to update everyone on this as I got to work 6 months back without using flexconnect.

This only works on a certain level code and at this time I can't recall what code version it is but I run 8.0.

You have to enable mDNS globally, on the wireless interface, and SSID.

My Brio devices were on a L3 vlan where as my wireless network was a L2. The way around this was to go into the AP and add the L3 Vlan to mDNS snooping. This allows the L2 network to see the L3.

My other issue is that my Christie Brio's were still not showing up. I had to run a mDNS debug through the CLI to determine the "string". Once I determined the string I added it to the mDNS profile which allowed me to airplay to the brio.

I just got confirmation 2 days ago that with iOS9 apple re-designed airplay and did not notify vendors and it will not work with Christie Brio's. This re-design may require additional tweaking to the controller and most likely will be new strings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card