Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Chromecast on IOS just partly working

Hi, 

Have just recently configured our network for Chromecast support following the Chromecast deployment guide.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-6/chromecastDG76/ChromecastDG76.html

This works fine for usage with the Google Cast add-on in Chrome from Windows, Linux and OSX.

Also works fine with screenmirroring in Android and all Android Apps.

The wierd issue is with the Chromecast support in IOS apps. In IOS the discovery only works in the Chromecast app and in Youtube. None of the other IOS apps I have tested discovers any of my Chromecast devices.

Saw an other guy post on this issue on stackoverflow, but that post seems to be gone.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DqrjnzCcha0J:stackoverflow.com/questions/34126186/chromecast-half-works-on-cisco-wlc-2504+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=se&lr=lang_en%7Clang_sv

I'm running AireOS 8.0.121.0

Any pointers to what could be the issue here?

Best regards

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have tested this out also and in older code versions, it was working well. I run into the same issue as what your seeing and to be honest, I just stopped using it. When I travel, I bring my Chromecast and it works fine with my hotspot or home type wireless routers.  I first noticed this with Plex app and thought is was The app until I brought up an Aruba AP and Meraki which worked fine.  Hopefully it works with v8.2 when that becomes available:)

-Scott

*** Please rate useful post ***

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott.

Do I understand you correctly when I think you said your experience is that it have worked correctly in older AireOS code versions but does not currently work with 8.x?

Yes, I have also seen it works good in Apple IOS aswell as in other OSes(Android etc) when using other typ of WLANs except the WLC. I have even tested on standalone autonomus Cisco APs and it is working fine there.

There is two diffrent kind of conclusions one can make.

Firstly:

Discovery in Apple IOS apps are working on other implementations, so there must be something that can be tuned or fixed in WLC AireOS to make it work.

Secondly:

There must be some difference on how the discovery is done in the IOS Chromecast and Youtube apps and how it is done in other apps using the Google Cast IOS SDK. There must also be a differens in how it is done from IOS SDK and Android SDK, since all Android apps works fine.

Conclusion; the problem could possibly be fixed either in WLC or in IOS SDK?

Chromecast and bonjour is very different.  I think it is an iOS issue to be honest, but if it works with other vendors AP's, then something is not working right in AireOS.  I think I did have a ticket open with Plex in regards to this and it was when I upgraded my iPhone iOS when I noticed it broke, except for YouTube.

-Scott

*** Please rate useful post ***

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card