cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1560 Wireless Deployment and best practices

Rafael_E
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the planning stages of replacing a wireless solution in our ware house with Cisco 1560 AP's that we have used at other warehouses. These AP's were chosen to be used inside the warehouse due to the refrigeration system keeping the facility at 38 - 42 degrees F in temp.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to mount these two AP's 1562i and 1562e and get the best performance & coverage? Currently we have the 1562i's mounted on poles from the sealing pointing down (horizontally) in between isles as we have a lot of metal racks.

Recently, someone propose the 1562i mounted on the wall pointing across in the warehouse, docking areas, and in between isles. We are using the 1562e on our exterior walls for signal coverage outside the facility.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In general, one AP per aisle, first aisle, the AP in the beginning of the aisle (inside the aisle so we can limit the AP signal between the aisles) then second isles, the AP in the far away end of that isles (inside the aisle so we can limit the AP signal between the aisles) and so on the zigzag pattern.

Now to your question regarding ceiling or wall mounting, in general, the best practice to mount any i AP model is horizontally and not vertically, so that’s why ceiling mounting to those types of APs is better or Wall/Pole Mount Bracket with Tilt (AIR-ACC1530-PMK2=) 90° downtilt possible with the adapter plate included, better Omni coverage. for all details check the below link. And also remember to check “Table 2-9 AP 1560 Power Matrix” from the “Cisco Aironet 1560 Series Outdoor Access Point Hardware Installation Guide”

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1560/installation/guide/1560hig/1560_ch2.html

2x2 vs 3x3 powering options

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Rafael_E wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to mount these two AP's 1562i and 1562e and get the best performance & coverage?

Get a wireless site survey done.  The questions you're asking, even though they are relevant, should have been made BEFORE the site survey was conducted.  

Hi Leo,

Thank you for your reply. We are still in the planning stages and have yet to order them. We have done a predictive survey to get an understanding where to place the AP's through our vendor, but as you know predictive survey is not the same as doing a POC to get the true readings. Due to COVID-19 and travel restrictions, it's not possible to go onsite at this time as we operate from a NOC and have sites in different geographical locations.

Most of the documentation for the 1560's is for the 1562e mounted vertically on a pole or a wall with antennas for outdoor use. We have been using the 1562i to address the environmental conditions inside our warehouse's as we have had AP's fail due to condensation buildup and most likely stick with these types of AP's. We just need to get a better understanding of the types of applications for these AP's so that we can adjust if needed.

Thanks again.

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As Leo said, you must do a site survey to verify the AP locations, but generally speaking, if you mount the i version on the walls there will be a lot of signal coming from all APs (assuming there is open space between the wall and the isles) so it’s better if you mount those on the ceiling (inside the isles) so the signal will be limited by the stuff on the shelves (limiting the signals between the isles) and make the installation as zigzag meaning the next isles AP installation will be mounted on the opposite side of the isles and so forth.

Hi Grendizer,

Thanks for your reply. So will it be safe to say that the 1562i's will perform better hanging from the ceiling vs mounted on the wall where we have isles with metal racks? In an open areas where there are no walls, typically how far apart should an AP hang and be placed from the next? 60-90 feet apart to prevent interference following the zigzag patter? Or would you mount them on the wall in a zigzag patter?

Thanks.

In general, one AP per aisle, first aisle, the AP in the beginning of the aisle (inside the aisle so we can limit the AP signal between the aisles) then second isles, the AP in the far away end of that isles (inside the aisle so we can limit the AP signal between the aisles) and so on the zigzag pattern.

Now to your question regarding ceiling or wall mounting, in general, the best practice to mount any i AP model is horizontally and not vertically, so that’s why ceiling mounting to those types of APs is better or Wall/Pole Mount Bracket with Tilt (AIR-ACC1530-PMK2=) 90° downtilt possible with the adapter plate included, better Omni coverage. for all details check the below link. And also remember to check “Table 2-9 AP 1560 Power Matrix” from the “Cisco Aironet 1560 Series Outdoor Access Point Hardware Installation Guide”

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1560/installation/guide/1560hig/1560_ch2.html

2x2 vs 3x3 powering options

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: