cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 - Internet access for Wireless users

Douglas Barker
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a 2504 Wireless lan controller with two AP's connected, AP's are directly connected to the controllers POE port.

Port 1 is connected to a standard Quest ISP router (i think its an ActionTech DSL router) and port2 is the managment interface (laptop connected)

The WLC is configured as the DHCP server and i have setup basic WEP encryption which works fine.  Clients are unable to access the internet when connected.

The IP's are as follows:

ISP Router: 192.168.0.1

WLC Management: 192.168.0.2

AP1: 192.168.0.3

AP2: 192.168.0.4

Thinking perhaps i would need to create a static route on the WLC to the isp router, this is just a basica setup for public wifi.

AP Name             Slots  AP Model              Ethernet MAC       Location          Port  Country  Priority

------------------  -----  --------------------  -----------------  ----------------  ----  -------  ------

AP1                  2     AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9     6c:20:56:52:66:34  default location  4        US       1

AP2                  2     AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9     fc:99:47:b0:e9:ea  default location  3        US       1

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would try changing the DHCP source from the WLC to the DSL modem.  The modem may not want to let a device out that it didn't give the DHCP to.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had issues with the ISP router serving DHCP addresses oringinally thats why created the scope on the WLC. I will try and get the DHCP up and running from ISP router and see if that helps.

One other question, is it possible to configure a static route on the WLC 2504 (ver. 7.3) it looks like there is  a commmand for it in the reference guide but not in the CLI

config route add ip_address netmask gateway

that is for forcing traffic out of the service port.  It's never been a recommended command to use

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Directly-connected APs are supported in 7.4 code, if you are not on that code then

The PoE Ports are not for the APs

Ports 3 and 4 are PoE only ports; do not connect access point devices to these ports. The ports can be used for infra-switch connection using multiple an AP-Manager or data interface

Connect port 1 to a trunk port on the switch.
configure the native vlan ON THE TRUNKPORT only eg vlan 10
Let's assume your wireless is on vlan 10 and your WLC2504 is 10.10.10.20 /24 gateway 10.10.10.1
Enable and Configure DHCP scope for vlan 10
The APs are then connected to a vlan 10 access port on the switch
Configure the SSID

DHCP server tips
- enable bridging mode if using the controller as the DHCP server, otherwise disable it. 
- if using other DHCP server and the DHCP server is in the same vlan as the controller, nothing further is needed.
- if DHCP server is on another vlan, you will need to configure option 43 (vendor specific into)

Check with these configuration it will hopefully fix your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card