Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller IOS and AP License

Shakir Manaam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently I'd to replace a 5500 series controller with a new one of same kind. We'd 100 AP licenses in the old damaged Controller.

Can I use the same license in the new controller? If yes, How can I do that? is SMARTNET necessary to do this?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you should be able to go to the license tool

and rehost them

HTH,
Steve
HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your support.

The old controller showing in the licensing tool is AIR-CT5508-K9

can I use AIR-CT5508-12-K9 to replace the above one and transfer 100 AP license hosted in it to the new one?

I mean the ' 12 ' represent the built-in AP licenses or the maximum possible AP count???

what is maximum count on AIR-CT5508-K9?

Appreciate your kind support.

-Shakir

To add value to this discussion, I have many 5508 controllers in the global enterprise and of various AP counts from 12 to 500.  5508 models unlike 4400 are not hardware specific AP skus.  So a 5508 can be licensed initially upon purchase or later upgraded via AP license additions up to a maximum of 500.  As mentioned, you can rehost a license file if it was purchased separately.  If it was purchased as part of the original controller sku, it is my understanding that this cannot be rehosted to another 5508 controller.  Please correct me if anyone believes this is not accurate.  So, I believe your options would be if you had valid smartnet hardware maintenance contract for a 100 seat controller, you would receive a 100 seat replacement controller.  If not and you purchased the 100 seat license separately, you can as mentioned rehost it.  Otherwise you would have to purchase an additional license or temporarily enable the 500 AP evaluation license good for approximately 8 weeks if it was not used prior.  Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: